System Services don't see ethernet.

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm brand new to the forum and have strange things happening with my computer since installing Windows 10.
I have a HP-Pavilion AV321AV-ABA e9180t 64 bit i7 - 920.

I had problems with audio, RAID system, and with system services internet access, and had to reset the system. The audio works now but, some system services / applications don't see the internet connection (for instance the ReportingHub for automated error wizard, the e-mail setup utility doesn't see the server, I don't think windows update is working either but i can't really tell (and there is no icon for it in the control panel).

Now web access (Firefox, IE) work fine, so am baffled why other services/apps don't see the internet. This problem was there when using WiFi also. Do I need to adjust internet settings, network settings, or ...?

P.S. I'm not using a proxy server and am using automatically detect settings

Thanks for your help

Terry515

Last edited:
Reaction score
Additional comments to add to my original problem. When I connect to my wireless router, the system says there is no internet, yet FireFox (&IE) work fine. It doesn't seem to matter whether I connect to the Ethernet or wireless the system also says it is not connected to a network. I've seen comments that the computer should be set to a private mode, yet without recognizing a network at all, there is no way to check or change this...

Terry515

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Which version of Windows 10 does your computer report, that you are currently running.
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the Run Dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK.
Should look something like this....

Capture.PNG

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.479) ??

Reaction score
try to do system restore and reinstall windows 10.
I always do this if ever I'm not sure if I configure the setting properly.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

Trouble reply: I have version 10 build 14393.0. It would be nice to get the latest, but the system doesn't see any network and doesn't even think it's got internet, not sure how I would get a later version anyway (windows update doesn't see an internet connection).

DarwinJones reply: I already did a restore before starting this thread. I had had problems with the RAID and audio plus the network connections issues. Now I only have the network issue.

BTW, I am now using my home wifi. I have internet connection to foxfire. Curiously, My wifi satatus says I'm not connected to anything.

Reaction score
Follow up to Trouble post:
in addition to the version and build stated, where your picture said it was licensed to "windows user" mine says

user name
org name

Maybe this is the problem?

Thanks for the replies,

Trouble reply: I have version 10 build 14393.0. It would be nice to get the latest, but the system doesn't see any network and doesn't even think it's got internet, not sure how I would get a later version anyway (windows update doesn't see an internet connection).

DarwinJones reply: I already did a restore before starting this thread. I had had problems with the RAID and audio plus the network connections issues. Now I only have the network issue.

BTW, I am now using my home wifi. I have internet connection to foxfire. Curiously, My wifi satatus says I'm not connected to anything.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is Device Manager, showing anything under Network Adapters?
IF you right click the Start Button and choose Run from the context menu and in the Run Dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
What shows up in the Network Connections window.
IF it lists the adapter(s) right click one and choose "Status" button, then use the "Detail" button to see the IP addressing scheme.

Capture.PNG

You might also try assigning static values to the IPv4 TCP\IP to see if your issues are with DHCP. Just use the "Properties" button.

Reaction score
Is Device Manager, showing anything under Network Adapters?
IF you right click the Start Button and choose Run from the context menu and in the Run Dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
What shows up in the Network Connections window.
IF it lists the adapter(s) right click one and choose "Status" button, then use the "Detail" button to see the IP addressing scheme.

View attachment 4503

You might also try assigning static values to the IPv4 TCP\IP to see if your issues are with DHCP. Just use the "Properties" button.

Picture of network status. appears normal:
upload_2016-12-17_10-4-2.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Picture of network status. appears normal:
It does. Typical Comcast / xFinity IP addressing schema.
Have you ran the native System File Checker to see if it finds any violations?
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it run and see if it finds anything.

Reaction score
It does. Typical Comcast / xFinity IP addressing schema.
Have you ran the native System File Checker to see if it finds any violations?
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it run and see if it finds anything.

21 Dec 16
No violations found.
Interesting though, now the WiFi doesn't see any networks. It also seen lots of them...

Terry Hols

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Which version of Windows 10 does your computer report, that you are currently running.
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the Run Dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK.
Should look something like this....

View attachment 4498

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.479) ??
I'm thinking this is the problem:
upload_2016-12-22_14-56-40.png

The license is not assigned?

Terry515

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-22_14-55-8.png
    upload_2016-12-22_14-55-8.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 569

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most Windows 10 machines, that are not participating in the "Insider Program" are currently running ......
Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.576), and.....
Yours is showing Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.577)

Is this machine an Insider machine on the Release Preview ring or something?
Where did you get this build?

I don't have my release preview machine running right now so I can't check its' build number, but I will a little later.
And no ..... the license assignment are kind of vague now.

Capture1.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Fired up my Release Preview Insider machine, double checked manually to confirm that all updates were applied and up to date, and found it is also only running .576
Capture.PNG

So that begs the question.....
Where did your build number .577 come from??

Reaction score
I'm thinking this is the problem:
View attachment 4538
The license is not assigned?

Terry515
I don't have an insider computer. The update was a free upgrade. I found a cumulative update for windows 10 dated 20 Dec 16, that I downloaded and updated my system with (KB3213522) 64 bit version. I did this because my system never sees any network or internet connection (but firefox, and IE worked fine), so I continue with no updates, no looking for updated drivers, no error checking/reporting (report hub doesn't see internet)... Turns out this update did nothing to help and in fact killed my audio again. It also fails to restore to the restore point I manually created before installing the cumulative update. got errors 0xc000021a and 0x80070002. Luckily, I continued onward anyway and it appears to have successfully returned to the post cumulative update state....

Disenchanted...(frustrated is creeping up)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I see.
I did find a reference here that explains the funny build number http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...ted-hotfix-for-windows-10-build-14393577.html
Maybe give this a try http://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/complete-internet-repair/
Use the portable version. Link at bottom of page.
Check all the boxes and let it "Go" and see if that helps at all.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, but.... I've never had it make anything worse, so it might be worth a try.

no joy on the complete internet repair.
thols515

Reaction score
Perhaps my problem is related to my user profile.
It's a whopping 21.3 GB in size!
I tried creating another account, it didn't change anything.

Thols515

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe try reverting your wired Ethernet driver back to the Intel driver for Windows 7 and see if that works
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=32208
The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.
So you may have to see what HP has that might be similar
The latest I could find for 64 bit system is Vista 64 bit dating all the way back to 2009
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...e9000-Desktop-PC-series/3942792/model/4003106
At this point, anything might be worth a try. I noticed that Intel has stopped supporting that particular Ethernet adapter on anything past Windows 7 64bit

Reaction score
Maybe try reverting your wired Ethernet driver back to the Intel driver for Windows 7 and see if that works
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...k-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=32208

So you may have to see what HP has that might be similar
The latest I could find for 64 bit system is Vista 64 bit dating all the way back to 2009
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...e9000-Desktop-PC-series/3942792/model/4003106
At this point, anything might be worth a try. I noticed that Intel has stopped supporting that particular Ethernet adapter on anything past Windows 7 64bit

===================================================================================
Sorry its been a while, I tried the HP link to Vista OS HP drivers, they won't let me install them because I currently using windows 10. I do have snipit (large actually) of a wlan report. It claims the network is disconnected by the user. any thoughts (sorry for the size):

This sequence repeats: Interface token applied, successful connection to a wireless network, capability change brought on by PassivePacketHops, reapplication of token results in no connectivity to the network, which is then disconnected…(a security protocol mismatch?) Reason given is “The network is disconnected by the user.” ???

upload_2017-2-2_13-6-23.jpeg

Any thoughts?
Terry515

Ask a Question