SYSWOW shell now nothing works

Reaction score
I had a different SYS file open on startup the other day and got it off startup through task manager. It then started popping up at different times. Now I have the SYSWOW64 one launch and I can do nothing. There are no icons but I have bottom taskbar. You can launch but nothing really opens. You can see it open in mini form but nothing else. I’ve tried safe mode and other fixes but they don’t work on my computer. It’s running windows 10 with latest updates. This problem started after unplugging everything and moving it 10 minutes ago. I tried two suggested bootrec things at prompt but my computer said they don’t exist. I tried MGedit.msc or something similar and my computer said it didn’t function in my system. I’m at a loss.

Reaction score
SysWOW64 is a folder created by Microsoft for storing 32-bit .dll files. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows. This means SysWOW64 equates to "Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit". This folder contains all the 32-bit .dll files required for compatibility which run on top of the 64-bit version of Windows. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows but x86 applications are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32. The C:\Windows\System32 folder still exists in the 64-bit version of Windows but it is used as a repository for 64-bit .dll files.

I looked this up as i had no idea what you were talking about. details above are from enquiring upon Google.
Apart from that, i am sorry to say, should you be having some sort of problem, I can not help you further.
Maybe someone else on this forum could come to your assistance. Good luck.

Reaction score
just had a thought jeanette Ann. this may help you sort out this problem.
Google, Windows Repair Toolbox and download it. Totally free. it has a multiplicity of available programs (free) to tackle most computer problems. Personally,i believe it should be a must for any computer user.

When downloaded, you will see small boxes filled with the abreviated names of many,many useful prrograms.(Gliding mouse over them presents you with a description and usage)
In the case of this problem, go to SFCFix and click to open it.
You will then see following message; "Before running SFCFix,run sfc /scannow." Press "yes"key below.
This will open command prompt screen and duly run a scan of the files on your computer, fixing any that may have been corrupt.
Be patient as it takes a while to complete.
If this fixes the problem,good. If not run DISM/SFC in a box below, choosing choice No3.
Hope this helps and suggest that you keep this programme handy,very useful.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I had a different SYS file open on startup the other day and got it off startup through task manager. It then started popping up at different times. Now I have the SYSWOW64 one launch and I can do nothing. There are no icons but I have bottom taskbar. You can launch but nothing really opens. You can see it open in mini form but nothing else. I’ve tried safe mode and other fixes but they don’t work on my computer. It’s running windows 10 with latest updates. This problem started after unplugging everything and moving it 10 minutes ago. I tried two suggested bootrec things at prompt but my computer said they don’t exist. I tried MGedit.msc or something similar and my computer said it didn’t function in my system. I’m at a loss.
That for me is the most likely source of your problem, so rather than looking for software solutions I would check the hardware first. Open the PC up and reseat everything; RAM cards, PCIe cards, and check that all cables and connectors are fully home.

Reaction score
Try both solutions,jeannetteAnn. ubuysa's solution first to cover hardware side of things. If no joy, try my solution for possible software problems.

best of luck.

Ask a Question