SOLVED Task Scheduler error upon opening

Reaction score
When I open the Task Scheduler I get this error message: "SqmUpload_S_1_5_21_22..........." no longer exits. To see current tasks, click Refresh. I respond OK, then Refresh and receive the same error message again. Leaving the Task Scheduler and then returning results in the same error sequence.

This is on W-10 Pro 64 bit which was an upgrade from W-7 Pro 64 bit.

Ron

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

The error is basically telling you that particular Task has become corrupted.

You can attempt to delete the Task via an elevated command prompt like so:
  • right-click on Start then select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • when the User Account Control alert appears click Yes
  • In the Command Prompt window that opens type the following:

Code:
    schtasks /delete /TN "type the exact task name in the error message here"

based on your post that would be:

schtasks /delete /TN "SqmUpload_S_1_5_21_22"

• Press Enter key to execute the command

Note: There is a chance you may see an error pop up here too along the lines, 'ERROR: The specified task name "SqmUpload_S_1_5_21_22" does not exist in the system'. If that happens then you'll need to edit the Registry reference to this task to prevent the constant error message occurring.

If this occurs do the following:
  • Press Windows key and S key together to give focus to your Search box
  • Type regedit then press Enter key
  • When the User Account Control alert appears click Yes
  • In the left pane of the Registry Editor window that opens expand the keys to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows NT
— CurrentVersion
— Schedule
— TaskCache
Tree
  • Left-click on Tree to expand then scroll down and locate the Task with name mentioned in the error.
  • Left-click on this task to view its content in right pane.
  • In the right pane, right-click on the value: Id then select Modify. A new box will open with the Data Value highlighted. Copy this information to a notepad now! (You'll need this later!!) -- it will look like {E22E47A6-1B35-422C-B0BE-C5347CF14CE1} although the GUID alphanumeric details will be different in your case of course.
  • Now in the left pane right-click on this corrupted task and select Delete
  • Press F5 to refresh Registry
  • Next on the left pane expand the Boot key. If the GUID you copied to notepad exists as a subkey here, right-click and select Delete then press F5 key
  • Next on the left pane expand the Logon key. If the GUID you copied to notepad exists as a subkey here, right-click and select Delete then press F5 key
  • Next on the left pane expand the Maintenance key. If the GUID you copied to notepad exists as a subkey here, right-click and select Delete then press F5 key
  • Next on the left pane expand the Plain key. If the GUID you copied to notepad exists as a subkey here, right-click and select Delete then press F5 key
  • Next on the left pane expand the Tasks key. If the GUID you copied to notepad exists as a subkey here, right-click and select Delete then press F5 key

Note
    : the GUID you copied to notepad may not appear in all locations above; don't worry if it doesn't that is not a problem.

Sample images to illustrate

reg.png

reg2.png

• Close Registry Editor
  • Finally, open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks

Locate the dodgy task and delete it

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
With your excellent explanation the problem has been solved. The 'Task Name' stated in my original posting as "SqmUpload_S_1_5_21_22..........." of course was abbreviated. Using Windows PowerShell (which more easily allows copy, rather than the more primitive command window was used to obtain the full name thus:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> schtasks /query /fo list
HostName: CCCLUSTER-EXTRA
TaskName: \Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTaskLogon
Next Run Time: N/A
Logon Mode: Interactive/Background
ERROR: Task cannot be loaded: SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-2257296852-2292502068-3452482532-1000
ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified.

Copying the TaskName and pasting it into the command below I attempted to delete it:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> schtasks /delete /TN SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-2257296852-2292502068-3452482532-1000
ERROR: The specified task name "SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-2257296852-2292502068-3452482532-1000" does not exist in the system.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

As you suggested this might fail, requiring me to instead make registry changes. Following your explanation I located the TaskName in the registry and it's associated GUID which was:

{25D9791C-D8C3-4133-990B-B3EA34ACC77C}

Using the 'find' (CTRL-F) function in Regedit starting with the 'Boot Key' and continuing through the 'Tasks Key' I found and deleted the entries, which were found in the Logon, Plain and Tasks keys, for this GUID.

After closing the Registry Editor, I proceeded to check the Task Scheduler and the error no longer occurs.

Regedit32, I was impressed by the thoroughness of your explanation and thank you!

One question..what software did you use to provide the images of the registry editor screens with the useful added graphics (in red)? That was very helpful!

Ron Stordahl

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the update and walk through of how you resolved your troubles.

I just used the standard Alt + PrtScn on keyboard to capture an image and the built in Paint app that comes with Windows for the editing and creating of the screen captures.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question