Taskbar app icons missing

Reaction score
Hi,
Greetings from Australia :)

I've searched for answers here but nothing.

I've just upgraded a malware free, perfectly functioning Windows 7 Pro PC to Windows 10 1151 using the MCT.
Everything went well, but I have two persisting and irritating issues.

[1] Taskbar: MS Edge and other App icons don't show. Just a blank square. The Apps launch, just no icon on the taskbar.
note: The app icons show fine in the start menu. Unpinning and re pinning to the taskbar has no effect, blank square remains.

[2] .png image files also show blank thumbnail icon in Explorer at all view sizes. Other common image types are fine. I have deleted all explorer iconcache files and restarted. I have set the Photos app as default handler, which has restored the .png thumbnail ONLY for the image just opened, none others (until I open them in the Photo app first)

A google search shows that issue [1] is very common but there seems to be no universal fix.
Issue [2] seems rare to affect just one image type, so I'm thinking is has a connection to issue [1].

Anyone ?

PS: I'm not shy of the Windows Registry.

Reaction score
Thanks, but as mentioned in my post I have already tried this method without any success.
For completeness I ran the free 'Thumbnail & Icon Cache Rebuilder' tool they offered, but the result is the same, no change.
(Yes I rebooted the PC).

PS: I also updated my Radeon HD 5700 drivers.

Ask a Question