Taskbar is not functioning correctly

Reaction score
The taskbar for the last 2 weeks or so has not been working correctly. The Windows 10 start icon does not respond at all, along with the search icon, the speakers icon, the new notifications icon, and the calendar/date. The only icons working are the 'task view' icon and the 'show hidden icons' little arrow icon. The right click menu works on the start icon and the right click menu for the taskbar "properties" box also works, and that is about it. Of course any apps I have added or any default programs already present in the taskbar work also, although since I upgraded to Windows 10, I have noticed it is almost impossible to get a right click menu on an icon in the taskbar; very iffy at best, but mostly just completely non-existent.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. The only thing that works is to right click on the start icon and then I don't get everything. It is impossible to get to settings. Right clicking on the search area gives another set of things that I don't understand.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This type of issue generally indicates profile corruption and can be addressed by creating a new user account, but....
Before you do anything like that, try clean booting the computer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for 8, 8.1 (same for 10)
Run it like that for a day or two and then re-enable the Startup Items as well as the non-Microsoft services you disabled and see if
1. A clean boot state addresses your problem
2. If there are any pending Windows Updates that may be available
3. Returning to a normal boot state, resurrects the problem.
Keep us posted.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and after googling the issue I determined it was a corrupt Windows System file. But the fix was to run the command SFC /SCANNOW at the commmand prompt but the start menu, task bar and cortana weren't working so i couldn't get to the command prompt. I then thought maybe is safe mode so I didn't know how to go to Safe mode on my Surface Book so I found I could set the machine to boot in safe mode. I was able to get to the taskbar and the boot tab and set the SB to boot into safe mode. Once there is was able to get a command prompt and enter the command. I then removed the setting to boot in safe mode and rebooted and everything worked fine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sometimes, just the going into Safe Mode and then returning to normal boot mode seems to resurrect the Start Menu and Cortana, but.....
It doesn't always seem to be a lasting fix.

Reaction score
Just after I posted my thread, I had a Windows 10 update. It was quite a lengthy one, and now everything is working again, at least for now. Thanks for the willingness to help even though it is not needed anymore.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
good to hear.
thanks for the update.
Hope it's a permanent fix.

Reaction score
i previously ran windows 10. News Years Day, My laptop spontaneously had a massive update. I didn't think much of it. After powering my laptop the next day, my task bar became unresponsive along with not being able to use any Window 10 features such as menus, apps, and even side bar that tells me the date and time when swipe cursor to the right. I tried using the prompt in "Admin powershell"

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I am still struggling with this issue.

Ask a Question