Taskbar problem

Reaction score
Although I've got taskbar grouping set to 'never' it still groups. This is annoying to say the least. For example if I've got several pdf
documents open I have to squint at maybe 5 miniature pages to find the one I want and frankly it just makes things harder. I want to see one button for each document.
Any ideas please?

Reaction score
What happens when you hover your mouse over an open document in the taskbar? Do they not open and show a 5cm (2"x2") preview

Reaction score
what are you using to open the pdf files ?, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Office, Open Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader or some other app ? .......... some of these are set by default to open each pdf file in a seperate window, some are set by default to open in a new tab

either way hovering over the taskbar pdf icon will show five boxes in your case, seperate windows means you have to sqint to select the window you want, seperate tabs means you can click on one & see all five pdf file in seperate tabs & its easy to select the pdf file you need

Adobe PDF on Taskbar new tab.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm opening them in Acrobat Reader and yes when I hover the mouse I see 5 small preview windows above the taskbar but difficult to see the one I want which seems pointless to me. Does this mean then that I can alter the settings in Reader to open them differently?
I've only just made the jump from XP to Windows 10 and on my old system every one showed separately on the task bar so I could easily change between documents with one click. Is this a case of changing things for the sake of change and making things worse I wonder. That was also Acrobat Reader opening the same documents.

Reaction score
1) Open any pdf document on your desktop
2) Click "Edit" at the top left
3) Click "Preferences" in the resultant drag-down menu
4) Click "General" in the window that then opens
5) Put a check-mark in the little box at the ninth line down that says "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires restart)"

You will now see pdf files opening in a tabbed format in the same window

Preferences.jpg

Uncheck the little box at the ninth line down that says "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires restart)"

You you now see pdf files opening in new Windows and not in a tabbed format in the same window

Ask a Question