Taskbar seems to restart itself every few minutes interupting what I'm doing

Reaction score
I don't know why my task bar seems to restart itself every now and then. It interrupts what I am doing. Would anyone know how I would be able to keep it steady? Actually when I was looking at pictures from an external hard drive, the task bar went on and off and my pictures disappear. The same is true when I'm typing. If I'm typing and it happens I have to realign the cursor. I would love to learn how to fix this! Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... normally if you are having trouble with the taskbar, I would suspect that perhaps explorer was crashing but.....
Do you happen to be using a slide show as your Windows desktop background.
IF so, try turning that off temporarily and see if that changes anything. Set it as a static picture or solid color for testing.

Reaction score
IDK.... normally if you are having trouble with the taskbar, I would suspect that perhaps explorer was crashing but.....
Do you happen to be using a slide show as your Windows desktop background.
IF so, try turning that off temporarily and see if that changes anything. Set it as a static picture or solid color for testing.
Hi Trouble! I removed the pictures and changed to color . I did not have a slide show. The task bar is still going away and coming back every few minutes so I can't work on pictures without them disappearing on me.
Also I dont seem to be able to work on anything without it disappearing after a few minutes. I have Internet Explorer and Mozilla on my task bar. Should I get rid of Internet Explorer? I also have google chrome on my task bar. Maybe too many?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dang. Looks like Explorer is crashing. I was hoping for the lesser and easier to fix one.
Let's start with a Safe Mode boot and see if the improves things at all.
Hold the shift key while clicking restart from the power option menu.
Navigate the advanced troubleshooting screens to Startup Settings, where you should (after clicking the restart button) choose #5 from the multiple options (safe mode with networking)
Don't expect much, you may get some error dialog boxes regarding Universal Apps that don't much like safe mode, but all of the Win32 applications should work. Launch IE, launch Chrome and or Firefox, do what you were doing before and see if you have the same problem.
Everything will likely look big and ugly..... we're just trying for stability. So report back with the results.
Same problem?
OR
Not?

Reaction score
OK! Here goes! I followed your instructions but it's still happening. Now I have to post from my ipad because a big blue sign says this app can't open. Get started can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. Sign in with a different account and start again. I can't post from my laptop. When I click Post reply it turns yellow. Apparently I have now lost my internet connection in safe mode. I'm working from my ipad. I don't know how to sign in with a different account. I'm afraid to do anything so I'll just wait for your response:)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just reboot the computer.
The "this app can't run" is expected which would include Microsoft Edge. But other browsers should work, like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Chrome.
The thing I wanted to determine was if the taskbar is still crashing which would indicate a problem with the explorer shell.
you may get some error dialog boxes regarding Universal Apps that don't much like safe mode

Reaction score
Just reboot the computer.
The "this app can't run" is expected which would include Microsoft Edge. But other browsers should work, like Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Chrome.
The thing I wanted to determine was if the taskbar is still crashing which would indicate a problem with the explorer shell.
Yes, I don't know why the internet would not work in safe mode. I signed in as I normally would but it wanted me to sign in with a different account and that confused me. Non the less my task bar is still coming and going and interrupting anything that I'm doing. Would you recommend anything else? Please!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, if your taskbar was still crashing in Safe Mode, I'm not certain that this will help but give it a try and see what the results are....
Open Internet explorer. Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
In the top URL address bar copy and paste this (not in the search engine text box).
Code:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Now the first thing, hold the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard and right click the taskbar, from the bottom of the context menu choose "Exit explorer"
That should give you some temporary peace and still keep the browser window open while you perform the next steps
Now..... use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and from the resultant screen choose "Task Manager"
From the menu bar along the top (you may have to click "More" or More Options or More detail) choose "File" -> "Run new task" in the text box next to "Open:" type
msconfig
Click OK
Since you already now have the System Configuration window open you can ignore steps #1 and #2
Follow the remaining steps to configure your machine for a clean boot.
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
See if that provides any relief to the problem.

Reaction score
How is your external hard drive connected to your computer? If it's by a USB cable make sure the cable is plugged in properly. Unplug the cable from the external drive as well as the computer and plug it back in. I just experienced this same thing today while transferring pics from my phone. I use a USB extension cable. The connection from my phone's USB cable into the USB extension cable was a bit loose. Reconecting the cables solved the problem.

Reaction score
Well, if your taskbar was still crashing in Safe Mode, I'm not certain that this will help but give it a try and see what the results are....
Open Internet explorer. Start Button -> All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer
In the top URL address bar copy and paste this (not in the search engine text box).
Code:
Now the first thing, hold the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard and right click the taskbar, from the bottom of the context menu choose "Exit explorer"
That should give you some temporary peace and still keep the browser window open while you perform the next steps
Now..... use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination and from the resultant screen choose "Task Manager"
From the menu bar along the top (you may have to click "More" or More Options or More detail) choose "File" -> "Run new task" in the text box next to "Open:" type
msconfig
Click OK
Since you already now have the System Configuration window open you can ignore steps #1 and #2
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
Dear Trouble,
I have tried to open Internet Explorer but I don't seem to be able to open the start button then all apps then windows accessories then internet explorer. I have tried many things but nothing works.

Reaction score
How is your external hard drive connected to your computer? If it's by a USB cable make sure the cable is plugged in properly. Unplug the cable from the external drive as well as the computer and plug it back in. I just experienced this same thing today while transferring pics from my phone. I use a USB extension cable. The connection from my phone's USB cable into the USB extension cable was a bit loose. Reconecting the cables solved the problem.
Thank you for your help. I have solved my problem!

Reaction score
Code:
msconfig
Click OK
I'm stumped. I dont even know how to do step number one!

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,
Would you happen to know why I cant open Internet explorer the way you asked? I click on the start and nothing happens You are talking about the browser page right?

Ask a Question