Tech/Preview 10565 on a Virtual Machine

Reaction score
hey guys!

i'm trying to try out windows 10 on a virtual machine (as instructed on c|net's site: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-install-windows-10-technical-preview-as-a-virtual-machine/) the reason is, i want to see if i can stand windows 10 or if i want to order my new machine with 7 on it.

i'm using the ISO build 10565, i haven't burned it to a cd/dvd (it's for a virtual machine, it pretends the iso is a virtual cd :X ) i'm trying to install 10 home 32 bit.

the thing just keeps going around and around and asking me the same questions over and over. on this, my third try, it asked me for settings 3 times, an account 1 time, then went back to asking for the settings. i got so tired of checking everything NO, i told it to use express settings this install around.

from my research, the infinite loop reboot bug was in the prior build, so i don't know what is wrong here...

does anybody have any ideas? can you help with the tech preview version? thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
"Oracle VM VirtualBox," the one they use in the instructions article.

the instructions say to use a 'windows 8' environment, i think, but when i named my virtual machine "windows 10" it auto-propagated the environment to be windows 10. oh. perhaps i can't install windows 10 on windows 10?? hmm.

Reaction score
okay, i tried loading the virtual machine with windows 8.1 and plain 8 (32 bit) and the vm kept crashing. :X

i loaded it with 7 (32 bit) and did a new 10 install. it's doing the same thing as before.

everything looks good. except it didn't take any of the keys i got from this page http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-offline-iso-now-available-for-download/ (legit tech preview keys, uh, as far as i know!) so i told it to skip that part.

it went through the whole checklist
getting files ready, transferring files, installing features, installing updates... reboot...
getting devices ready... getting ready...
reboot...

Get Going Fast; the first time around, i filled these out... and then i saw the screen turn from blue to purple, and then I SAW IT! i saw a blank black screen with a recycle bin on it! that was it, right? yeah, well that didn't last.

i got Get Goin Fast 4 times,
Make it yours (skipped) once
Account (with no password) once
and on the fourth pass of 'get going fast' i said i quit.

Reaction score
everything looks good. except it didn't take any of the keys i got from this page http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-offline-iso-now-available-for-download/ (legit tech preview keys, uh, as far as i know!) so i told it to skip that part.
Those keys are in my opinion only examples of what your key should look like. If you don't have a key, you should buy one. If you are only testing the environment join the Insider Program. You can find a link to join the Insider Program in the Windows Update window.

Reaction score
okay, easy. i'm NOT trying to pirate windows.

i did join the insider program. that's where i got the tech preview iso file. just like the c|net instructions say.

that page with the keys says "If asked, you can use following product keys at the time of installation:"
ergo, i figured they were dummy keys that go with the tech preview.

okay, perhaps not. if not, where in the insider program and/or iso download pages do i find a key i SHOULD use with the tech preview? because i did not see that anywhere when i was getting the file. from microsoft. in the insider program.

OH! for crying out loud, okay... here it is on the insider preview download page:

"
Windows Insider Preview Activation

You will need to install the Windows 10 Insider Preview build on a device that has been previously activated with Windows 10 or with a Windows 10 product key.
"

okay, geeze, i thought the cnet article was talking about an actual preview of windows 10 BEFORE you buy.
never mind then.

sorry 'bout that.

Ask a Question