That darn outlook16 again.

Reaction score
My first problem experience with outlook 2016 involved not being able to delete messages. The fix by Ian allowed me to delete but they did not go into the trash, hence they were lost forever immediately. Sometimes you may want to go retrieve a deleted message before you ever mt the trash bucket.

Now all of a sudden I find a folder showing up under my trash folder that calls itself DUMPSTER and there are all the deleted emails from the beginning of time.

So my issue is where did this come from, why is it now showing up , and what can you tell me about it. I can empty it, and I did, then it took about an hour before the last emails I deleted showed up in it. They did not instantly show up in the DUMPSTER. This is all weird and so would like an explanation if anyone knows about it.

I'm finding this email program to be a monster that has 10 heads and is out of control. Microsoft should be ashamed of what they did to a good email program.

Thx much. Noel

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi I myself do not use that I use the Mail App
I have 4 e-mail accounts coming into a linked inbox
When I delete a mail it goes into the deleted folder until I decide to empty it then it asks me am I sure
Once every 2 weeks I go into each email folder and remove what deleted e-mails have been left behind

Reaction score
Are you talking about the real Outlook 2016 ...the one that is part of Office 2016?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We truly needed to come up with a good idea to sort out what everyone seems to like to call "Outlook".
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/outlook-vs-outlook-com-vs-windows-live-mail-vs-mail.29/
I've personally only used the real Outlook (part of the full Office Productivity Suite) and have never had anything called "DUMPSTER" or at least never noticed it.
Evidently it may have something to do with a place from where you can retrieve items even after deleting them from your deleted items folder??? IDK!!!

Reaction score
Trouble Great information, helps clear things up. Sure is confusing, but we don't have to look too far to find out who created the mail confusion.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... Ian created that "Article" almost a year ago after some delicate coaxing on my part. We agreed that it might be helpful.
Now if we could just get people to read it so that we were sure that we were all talking about the same piece of software.

This "DUMPSTER" thing has me entertained.
Looks like it may be a third party add-on, which I hadn't heard of before / until doing a little searching.
http://www.addintools.com/documents/outlook/where-recover-deleted-item.html

IDK but,..... it might be related.

Reaction score
Trouble said "The Dumpster thing has had me entertained" Me too! LOL.
I learned something new today, I didn't know hard and soft deletes existed. I wish we had that option in school. That is, a hard and soft eraser on the end of the pencils.
Is it possible the dumpster is the delete trash can icon?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible the dumpster is the delete trash can icon?
I don't think so.
Outlook.com has a pretty extensive ability to recover deleted items.
AND
the "DUMPSTER" feature seems to be a facility of Exchange
SO
Perhaps if you configured your email account within the "Real" Outlook program as an exchange / active-sync account...
THEN
It might be available in Outlook (real Outlook)??