SOLVED The edge needs a menu bar like a car needs a steering wheel

Reaction score
It is like putting out a car without a steering wheel. Thumbs down!!!! thinking on going back to eight before its to late. Or give up on Microsoft and finally join the Linux world.

Reaction score
Edge has menu, favorite, home, favorite bar etc. Edge has it flaws and should get better. Windows 10 is at least as stable as previous systems. If you go back to eight that is a step back then here comes the threat Linux which is 2 steps back. I had to use Linux at work talk about no production. We had more calls for repairs from failures and memory usage that you can ever imagine. Customers were so mad waiting for system to do its job and employees were begging for Windows.

Reaction score
Maybe I am not sdo discerning as many users appear to be.
I habitually use Chrome as my main browser, IE as the backup. Of course, like most, I have been playing with Edge since its introduction. The lack of a full menu is, for me, a No No.

But, performance wise, I am not measuring on any advanced instrumentation or even with a stopwatch, but I cannot, visually, detaect any difference in speed or quality between the three.

Reaction score
I am using the Edge, and I have my favourite lings on a banner at the top, all seems to be working OK for me.

Reaction score
Maybe I am not sdo discerning as many users appear to be.
I habitually use Chrome as my main browser, IE as the backup. Of course, like most, I have been playing with Edge since its introduction. The lack of a full menu is, for me, a No No.

But, performance wise, I am not measuring on any advanced instrumentation or even with a stopwatch, but I cannot, visually, detaect any difference in speed or quality between the three.
Menu is 3 dots.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    173.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    183.5 KB · Views: 735
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    190.5 KB · Views: 817
Reaction score
Just curious. What does your post mean? You have quoted me which drew me back to this "solved" thread??

Reaction score
Well, shucky darns.... frankly this thing without a menu bar...at LEAST a home button , really stinks. The same genius at MS that brought us Cortana, bring us this?

Reaction score
Well, shucky darns.... frankly this thing without a menu bar...at LEAST a home button , really stinks. The same genius at MS that brought us Cortana, bring us this?
See my post above. Screenshot 5 shows you the home button.

Reaction score
I guess everyone likes Internet Explorer crap. I have forward, backward, refresh, home, Search Bar, Reading mode, Hub, Web Note, Share and finally More Actions. My Edge Browser mimics my Chrome browser almost to the T. This is not IE11. Maybe other browsers have it to but since I quit using the resource hogs years ago I wouldn't know and is why I was struggling to see what Menu Bar everyone was referencing to.

Reaction score
My Edge Browser mimics my Chrome browser almost to the T. This is not IE11. Maybe other browsers have it to but since I quit using the resource hogs years ago
Firstly Google Chrome is a resource hog because of how it is programmed to handle each tab. Each tab is programmed to handle it's own resources, so in the event of crash only the one tab closes. Each tab has to duplicate it's own memory allocation, which eat up system RAM.

With IE and Firefox the File Menu is probably hidden by default and can be temporarily viewed by pressing the Alt key. Having these options at a single key press is not hogging resources, and allows users to manage navigating settings through keyboard control.

Reaction score
This survey might not agree with you, Cliff

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-which-is-fastest

Resource handling is often mentioned in comparisons. But, today, even the average user has a computer over endowed with memory and cpu ability, so I would not say it is a totally relevant aspect, when talking of comparisons.

"Having these options at a single key press is not hogging resources"

They are, as you say, only hidden, but still making use of the "resources"

So much is dependant on how a computer is being used, and, in the case of browsers, for what. Game playing, or Music from streaming sources, can affect a particular browser in different ways. I have not seen any recent comparisons of Browsers, referring to that aspect.

For me, it is not a matter of watching resources, but a general impression of which works best and fastest. IE still wins hands down with that consideration.

Reaction score
They are, as you say, only hidden, but still making use of the "resources"
Then how on God's green earth could we manage to operate a browser 15 years ago on 512MB of memory. Especially when I read people commenting about Chrome using up 8GB plus memory by itself. It is not the menu that is using up resources. It is the code the menu controls, which is being controlled by Edge's new location with less options. Basically the same difference in having the Start Screen or the Start Menu. It is a group of links that only points to an application. Change for the sake of change without the option of having either one. The very same thing happened with the Ribbon interface. Which by the way I happen to like, but I'm not gonna stand here and say everyone should be forced to use it.

Reaction score
I operate 10 on 4 gigs. I use Chrome since IE 11 was to many crashes. Chrome hasn't crashed in years. There are people like my Mother that won't use any other than IE and she calls me all the time about it won't remember this or log on to this site so I have installed Chrome which she is learning. Not to bad since she has only a 5th grade education and is over 70. She also is running only 4 gb of memory. Right now IE is no longer default browser for 10 and Microsoft states they will keep it around for Enterprise and Legacy browser support. This is my opinion as well as many more about IE. Here an article earlier this year before Edge. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-cen...est-web-browser-for-windows-2015-may-3493898/

Reaction score
Look I'm not here to argue the merits of whether Chrome is or is not a decent Browser. I'm not gonna use the damn thing over spite from the fact I have to fight to keep it off my machine. For the life of me I can't understand why you had to manually install it on your mothers machine.

All that is irrelevant to my main statement that the original File Menu is not a resource hog, it is only a menu. It has nothing to do with resources. That's like saying the link on your desktop to a 4GB file is taking up too much room. No! The link is not taking up 4GB, the file it points to is.

Talking about a menu system that was created over 20 years ago being a resource hog is laughable. Calling it outdated has merit, but suggesting it no longer has capability to function is ridiculous.

Reaction score
You are reading into it wrong. My opinion is that IE has to many security holes, to buggy and is more prone to get virus' which slows it down ie Resource Hog. Menu Bar looks outdated to me. Chrome doesn't come installed on PC or on my Laptop nor was it installed on any other windows platform I have had so I installed them. Microsoft got sued over Internet Explorer by forcing it on there customers without a way to delete it. Like I stated Microsoft is slowly killing off Internet Explorer to the general public and only keeping for Enterprise or legacy browser. My statement about 4gb of Memory was to let you know that is all I am running.

Reaction score
You are reading into it wrong. My opinion is that IE has to many security holes, to buggy and is more prone to get virus' which slows it down ie Resource Hog.
So it is not actually IE that you are calling resource hog, it is Malware. I'll handshake to that!

Ask a Question