The first major update to Windows 10 is now available for PCs and tablets.

Reaction score
Today, we reach our next milestone as the first major update to Windows 10 is now available* for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility. Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.

But most importantly, with this free update we have reached the point in the platform’s maturity where we can confidently recommend Windows 10 deployment to whole organizations.

Experience improvements in this update include:

• Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device.
  • With Cortana, you can use your device’s pen** to just scribble a note in the Cortana Notebook and Cortana will recognize the phone number, email address, and even physical address to help you set reminders. Cortana can also now keep track of your event and movie bookings too, sending you helpful reminders to know where to go and get there on time, plus the option to book and track an Uber**. We’re excited to make Cortana available in Japan, Australia, and Canada and India (in English) with features and experiences customized for each market.
  • Microsoft Edge offers improved performance and security, along with tab preview, which allows you to hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites without leaving the page you’re on. Microsoft Edge now syncs your Favorites and Reading list items across devices so you can easily get back to the content you’re interested in most. And, Cortana will now notify you of the best coupons** from your favorite retailers such as Staples, Macys and Best Buy when shopping in Microsoft Edge.
And much more with improvements to Mail, Calendar, Photos, Groove, Xbox, Store, OneNote, Solitaire, and more!

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
What a clusterfudge.

1. Replaced my graphics driver with the "windows approved" version

2. Ran DDU and reinstalled the latest AMD driver and on reboot immediately started redownloading the "approved" driver (fortunately I was able to run wushowhide.diagcab fast enough before it started installing it).

3. Replaced my default pdf reader with edge.

4. Replaced my default picture viewer.

5. Reset all my privacy settings to default (of course I expected that)

After 2+ hours, I think I have everything back to normal.

Reaction score
Just did the same update. The only thing I see is my Realtek wireless adapter is disabled. With any luck maybe the Dell adapter won't need constant resetting. Looked at folder options and power plans to see if defaults are restored. Not so.

With my 2 laptop and one dual boot operation this is Microsoft 10 as opposed to My 10 on the other machine. That one is 10 the way I want it. I'll just let this one go for as long as I can stand it.

It did take the better part of an hour for this so it's quite a jump.

From things i'm reading i'll have to be careful to not let 7 get updated to 10. That would be a disaster.

Reaction score
The update, whilst it took a long time on my lousy connection, went fairly smoothly.
As it was almost, (not 100%), a reinstall, I was expecting a few items that would need adjusting. Defaults, as said, were one., but this was done quickly.
My graphics card (NVidia) had recently been automatically updated, so that was not one of the issues.

I cannot, on a brief look, see any changes in the privacy settings, but that would, naturally, depend on the previous customisation. Maybe that shoe will drop later!
Other than that, I remain in shock, that it went so smoothly!§!!

P.S. Interest only. jmccleary.
I am a Dell user, but I don't have one to hand, with the Realtek adapter. What adapter did it replace it with??

Reaction score
My dual boot setup is on a N5050 which has a Dell 17802 802.11 network adapter which developed a habit of constantly needing reset by opening network and sharing to run troubleshooter. So I purchased an Etek City CF912 AC USB adapter which was identified as not compatible with this version of W10.
The Etek City had been working better so now I'm hoping the Dell will be reconstituted.
Wish in one hand and **** in the other huh?

The version of 10 on this machine is MY 10 which is 10 the way I want it with Classic Shell on it.

The other one is on a 3543 which is 10 the way Microsoft wants me to have it. I'll put up with it as long as I can.

My major concern is to prevent 7 from becoming corrupted.

Reaction score
Your last line - an excellent idea.
At the moment, I am experimenting with various combinations of upgrading/installing, from windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Luckily I have extended resources for ruining installations!
I am having some interesting results. I will post back when I can verify some of these.

Reaction score
Is there any simple check I can make that this update actually took place?

If it did then I'm not impressed. No noticeable improvement. Maybe even more frequent BSODs.

Since "upgrading" to W10 my PC is slower at booting (3+ minutes) than W7 and far slower shutting down, again over 3 minutes, I often just switch it off after 30 seconds.

I'm seriously thinking of formatting my C drive and reinstalling W7 since W10 is worse in nearly every way, slower, unstable, and, I suspect, more open to hacking.
As a personal preference I hate the chunk of useless W8 junk apps that's been grafted onto the startup menu and the associated bloatware. But then, maybe, I'm just a reactionary old guy!:)

Reaction score
Try going to a dual boot. I have 7&10 on the same laptop. It's a real challenge since 7's disk management won't let you shrink enough space for 10 without Mini Tool Partition Management to force it.

I'm a great fan of 7 and 10 is at least bearable. I hated tiles when I first saw them in 8.1 but learned to live with them.

Reaction score
My update tool 7 hours and that was on a clean install. Watching paint dry. Deleted my network printer, but didn't touch the drivers I had to install in order to have an older HP laserjet printer and HP scanner Does seem as though the boot time has improved The computer is a new Dell xps 8900. Will definitely not upgrade my husband's laptop.

Reaction score
I updated one version of my machine to 1511-10586.14. This version had given me SFC errors that could not be corrected by SFC or DISM and the upgrade, unfortunately, did not change this. MS support was worse than useless and ended up suggesting I load Windows 10 from scratch.

I then grabbed a new drive and, following MS support’s suggestion, installed Windows 10 from scratch. We should now be able to get Cortana to work here in Canada and it did, indeed, work on my original install but on the new “virgin” version of the machine, I cannot get Cortana to work for love or money: It goes through the microphone setup, tells me my microphone did set up correctly and is ready for use. But, the next time I try to use Cortana, it’s as if I never set up the microphone. Cortana keeps telling me “Let’s pick up where we left off” and wants me to set up the microphone again. This happens over and over. MS support, of course, is clueless and wants me to spring for paid support. With the quality of support I encountered so far, paid “support” is out of the question.

So now I am stuck running the original version of my system and just ignoring the SFC error. It bugs the heck out of me though, that I can’t get a clean install to work.

Reaction score
Is there any simple check I can make that this update actually took place?

If it did then I'm not impressed. No noticeable improvement. Maybe even more frequent BSODs.

Since "upgrading" to W10 my PC is slower at booting (3+ minutes) than W7 and far slower shutting down, again over 3 minutes, I often just switch it off after 30 seconds.

I'm seriously thinking of formatting my C drive and reinstalling W7 since W10 is worse in nearly every way, slower, unstable, and, I suspect, more open to hacking.
As a personal preference I hate the chunk of useless W8 junk apps that's been grafted onto the startup menu and the associated bloatware. But then, maybe, I'm just a reactionary old guy!:)
Pjaj, it is time to react, there is a solution to all your complaints. Start a new thread and get it solved. The slow start you mention is definitely not right and I am certain you can fix it. I too hate the junk apps and so on each pc I load Win10 to, the first thing I do is right click each one and select "unpin from start". I have no app tiles on my start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It must be update Tuesday again. ;)
• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116908).

Reaction score
Its Wednesday on the US Eastern seaboard. Hey that was a big one must have taken a whole minute to complete counting the restart.

Reaction score
"The slow start you mention is definitely not right" No?

I took my computer with Windows XP in for repairs because it was booting so slow...over 30 seconds. They advised I toss it & buy a new one, which I did.

My new computer with Windows 10 takes over 2 minutes to boot. I took it back for repair, they said, "That's normal."

According to microsoft, "It's a feature."

Reaction score
I do not wish to hijack this thread. Start another thread and I would be happy to discuss it.

Reaction score
I'm sitting by my pc down here in Melbourne, Australia, watching the W10 upgrade happening. It,s taken two hours so far and only 70% done. I can feel my anxiety level rise by the minute! Fingers crossed for a hassle-free experience.

Reaction score
Well this one seems to have gone o/k whatever it is supposed to do.

On December 2nd, Microsoft is pushing a new cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1511. The new update is described as KB3116908, but at this time there is no support page defining what’s new with the new patch.

Interesting enough, KB3116908 brings Windows 10 version 1511 to build 10586.17. The update doesn’t seem to add any new features, as such we can only assume that it only contains improvements to enhance the functionality of the operating system. (Updated information is coming as soon it becomes available.)

Bif

Reaction score
Updates done..took about 10 minutes to complete..nothing any shinier.It did seem to boot a tad faster when it restarted..
Might even take Cortana out for a drive one day..just for the heck of it.

Ask a Question