The Infamous Microsoft Account

Reaction score
When I was running the Windows 10 preview on my machines I just used my Microsoft account for convenience. Now however, during the upgrade to the final release it drug along my Microsoft account sign in and that is what I've been using so far. I'm curious though what others think of using your Microsoft account on your computers after upgrading. I don't want to jump on the paranoia band wagon although I did disable some of the things such as sending browser use information to Microsoft and I really would rather not have Microsoft looking over my computing shoulder.

Does anyone really know what happens when you are signed in with a Microsoft account? Is the paranoia justified or is there no difference signing in with a local account vs the Microsoft account? I don't use or even need one drive or any of the syncing apps since I seldom use a cell phone except for an occasional text or call from a family member.

I just remembered that I set up a local account on my other computer so I took a look. When I open the Solitaire game I get nag screens for XBox and beseeching me to sign in with my Microsoft account. If I decline I'm offered the option to play Solitaire as a guest and none of that happens on this computer using my Microsoft account. I'm just curious if there is good reason not to sign in with a Microsoft account.

Reaction score
I don't like or trust cloud computing. I don't want my personal data or files stored on someone else's server.

- Why do I need a MS account for Cortana?
- Does my computer "break" if my internet is down? What won't work?
- Why do I need to sign into my MS account JUST to get to my desktop?
- When I create a MS account, where does my local account go? What about the settings?
- How do I "undo" my MS account and go back to a local login?

Reaction score
I'm with you Calab. I have no need for Cortana and I won't trust any of my files to be sent out into cyberspace to some unknown entity that claims they will safely store my stuff. I back up using EaseUS Todo backup program to a dedicated hard drive on my computer. But I'm curious if there is any reason to not sign in with a Microsoft account.

Reaction score
Not fond of this either.....but I bowed to the wishes of MS just to cut the bullshit short

Reaction score
I'm with you Calab. I have no need for Cortana and I won't trust any of my files to be sent out into cyberspace to some unknown entity that claims they will safely store my stuff. I back up using EaseUS Todo backup program to a dedicated hard drive on my computer. But I'm curious if there is any reason to not sign in with a Microsoft account.

Well.. take a cue from Apple, a company which boasts one of the worst records when it comes to 'security' and some of the most destructive hacks ever seen. In the case of Apple, they gladly reset your password for hackers, giving them access to all your Apple devices. The hackers would then delete all the stuff on your computers remotely if you didn't pay up.

Theoretically, with a Microsoft Account, the same thing could be done.

Reaction score
Aha. Never though about it from that angle salamander. I reckon there are certain advantages for some people to keep signed in with a Microsoft account. I've been playing a Ubisoft game called Assassin's Creed Rogue and it logs you into a Ubisoft account when you play. With all the installs, reinstalls, updates, upgrades and other assorted mayhem that has been going on in my computers I've had to reinstall the game several times. It logs me into my Ubisoft account and I'm able to resume playing the game from the point where I last left off. But.....I'm not logged into Ubisoft when I'm not playing the game. Microsoft should be set up the same way.

Reaction score
I went through the hassle of a Microsoft account just to stop the nagging. It didn't really stop but did decrease. I went to great pains to eliminate passwords in 8.1 by running netplwiz and every time I use a MS account all I can remember is all those irritating password prompts. Right now I avoid MS accounts like the plague for fear of somehow renewing that nightmare.

Ask a Question