The Last Usb Connection Not Recognised By Windows-repeatedly!

Reaction score
Hi all.

For some unknown reason I am now receiving a black warning banner that pops in and out ever second or three appearing just above the clock telling me that the last USB device connected was not recognized by Windows. I should reconnect and try again or go on line a find a solution, or word to that effect.

This VERY frequent popping out banner and the associated sound drives me crazy and hide a very important part of the screen where other messages from the associated links appear.

I have opened Settings and turned off the Notification button and from the control panel under sounds removed the annoying sound......I did this after a test I tried by disconnecting all the USB cables including the mouse from the PC and then rebooting, but still the same results. I cannot identify to which USB the banner refers to.

Now I have peace and quiet and no annoying pop out banner....BUT, this is not a solution, it is a band-aid solution.

My question is, how do I fix it permanently, the correct way?

My OS 10 is a Win 7upgrade and up until now, for the past 6 months this problem has not existed.

Just as a point in passing, this problem made it's self know just after a momentary power outage. My PC turned off but I have it set so that I have to manually reboot.

I have had power outages before without any problem. In one occasion I even had a lightening strike somewhere down the line as it blew the fuse-box breaker out necessitating a replacement purchase.

Just as a point, when I swap my Win OS 10 HD from the caddie and replace it with my Win 7 OS, there is no problem at all.

I have tried several Restores to different dates to no effect.

Now here is the bad part. I actually Ghosted this Win 10 HD back to the beginning of November last year when I know I never had this problem, and yet there it is, driving me crazy.

So what now?

Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only time, I've personally ever gotten this same notification is when I was attempting to test a bad hard disk in my USB 3.0 HDD Dock, so based on that....
AND the information you supplied about the power outage, it's possible that one of your attached drives (could even be a memory card in your card reader or in a printer slot if you have such a printer, even a camera, phone or other such device connected typically through USB) has been damaged in some manner.
I would start there.... specifically with any physical drive or flash memory device of any kind attached to your computer.
Then I would check in Device Manager
Use the menu bar to select View -> Show hidden devices, then expand portable devices and clean that up. The dim icons indicate devices that were but are not currently connected, brighter icons are devices that are current attached.

Reaction score
I am a little confused about what device is causing the problem. Are you saying you have Windows installed on an external USB device and that is the drive causing the notifications?

If it is some other USB device, since you do not seem to know what device it was, I suppose you have reconnect all the devices for testing.

You can try opening Device Manager and select the properties and see if they have the Reset option available as shown below.

Hub Reset.jpg

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the input.

To clarify my computer setup , it goes like this.

I have 3 caddies installed into the tower. The top slot is allocated to the Operating systems. With this setup, for the top slot, I have 2 interchangeable Hard Drives. One of the HD's has loaded there on Win7 OS and the other, Win 10. These drives I alternate as I need and to update the amendments.

The remaining 2 caddies house storage drives, Slave and Dungeon :)

As I said earlier. At one point I had disconnected all my USB devices except the mouse. I neglected to say that I also had removed the two lower storage drives (Slave and dungeon) from there respective caddies. So in effect the only thing connected to the PC was the mouse, and still the banner popped out.

I have looked into the Device Manager, that was one of the first things I did, nothing there helped. I even, systematically uninstalling USB devices until I managed to uninstalled the mouse then re-booted to re-install drivers.....

Still no joy.

Just as a point saltgrass, no where in "device manager" do I have a "reset Hub" button as shown in your post.

The question remains, why does this only occur with the Win 10 OS and not the Win 7 ?

Regards

Reaction score
So Janset, if you open Device Manager and expand the USB Controllers section, then select one of the USB Root Hubs the properties, none of them have an advanced tab?

Your caddies are SATA and not USB so the device being mentioned is not one of your drives in the caddies?

Reaction score
Hi there.
I am sorry that I am not making myself clear.

Yes, all my USB controllers and root hubs have an "advanced" tab.

What I do not have is a "Reset Button" that you have displayed "with an arrow" pointing to it in your earlier post.

Yes I am aware that all my cadies ARE Sata and are connected in their cradle via internal SATA cabling to the MB .

I addition, I do not have any yellow exclamation marks or triangle warning marks against any of my listed USB entries when Device manager is opened.

Regards

Ask a Question