The search bar is gone, Cortana only seems to want me on the web, and it doesn't find files.

Reaction score
Once upon a time, Windows Search would find files on the desktop and attached drives that were included in the index. Apparently it doesn't anymore. Not only that, but the Cortana search that replaced it seems only to want to take me to the net and doesn't find files on my computer. Changing indexing options hasn't helped and it's been weeks on a fast computer which I mostly keep running. WFT?

Reaction score
Left click in the search window then settings cog at upper left below house icon. Turn Cortana off.
Set search online off. Searches will only be on your pc.

Reaction score
Once I turn Cortana off, I no longer have the search window at the bottom of the Start page.

Reaction score
Is there an icon of a magnifying glass just to the right of the start button? Click it.

Reaction score
You can also try right clicking the taskbar - click the "search" option.
There you can select the full bar, the icon only, or hide. Seems like yours may have defaulted to "hide"

Your other comment. I don't recall modifying my start order, but my "search" item is now down under "S" in the All Apps. From there, you can "pin to start". You will then have it as an icon in the start menu display.

Ask a Question