The server has rejected your login.

Reaction score
Both computers referred to below have had a recent upgrade to Windows 10. I use Windows Live Mail both, I've been told to change the account from POP to IMAP.

My ISP connected remotely to my desktop and changed my Windows Live Mail from POP to IMAP. He said if I set my laptop up the same way it should all sync. The account on my desktop is working perfectly.

I've spent the past hour trying to make this same change on my laptop and all I get is that the server has rejected my login and I should check that user name and password are correct. They are.

It tells me that i have successfully created the account, but there are no folders in the account: Inbox, Delete, Sent,Junk Mail, Drafts, etc. When I click on the button to download folders it starts and then gives me the rejection message.

In my screenshot, that top account is my old POP account. The next one down is the new IMAP account. When the ISP made the change on my desktop it showed the basic folders, but on my laptop I am getting nothing but the listing.
mail account.JPG

I filled the account information boxes in exactly as my ISP did for my desktop. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Reaction score
on both your Desktop & Laptop, open Live Mail,
click File, Options, @ Email Accounts,
highlight your account & click Properties,
double check your settings on your Laptop are the same in all five Tabs as on your Desktop,
General - Servers - Security - Advanced - IMAP

Reaction score
I'm trying to clear up some things and didn't guess I never got back to this post the way it looks. The problem is solved. I use a password manager to create and keep my passwords, so they are all very long. For some reason when I was trying to create this account, it would not allow me to copy and paste in my password, so I had to write it out and then type it in. On this computer my ISP put that information in for me. Anyway, in that big long password what I thought looked like 2 lower case O's (I would have sworn it) turned out to be to capital O's and that is why my login kept getting rejected.

What I would like to know, if you know the answer, is why I was not allowed to copy and paste my password. This would all have been avoided if not for that one thing.

Ask a Question