They call me...Tim

Reaction score
Tim Corbin from south east Arizona. Retired military, full time college student.
I am experience on most Windows Operating Systems, and currently have Win10 on my laptop and tablet...for the time being, anyway.

Reaction score
Hello Tim, that last part of your message sounds like you might have doubts about using Windows10.
I find troubles using that version, since yesterday. See my thread of August 12. Maybe you find my descriptions sounding familiar to what you experience with it? Any advise is welcome, I know how to restore my pc to an earlier date, when I'm done with Windows10 troubles. Thanks for any suggestion and advise!

Reaction score
Hello Tim, that last part of your message sounds like you might have doubts about using Windows10.
I find troubles using that version, since yesterday. See my thread of August 12. Maybe you find my descriptions sounding familiar to what you experience with it? Any advise is welcome, I know how to restore my pc to an earlier date, when I'm done with Windows10 troubles. Thanks for any suggestion and advise!
On my laptop everything is easy-peasy. It is the TABLET that is causing me headaches! The WiFi constantly drops connections or shows as limited, a Bluetooth device refuses to be uninstalled, and (initially) the keyboard input resulted in random gibberish and inanities. The troublesome part is that since I bought it from HP with all software preinstalled, I can't easily rollback to Win8.1!

Reaction score
Well, that doesn't sound hopeful for me, I guess. Are these the usual "stumble blocks" in new programs or is Windows10 bad luck? I'm going to reset my laptop and return to Windows 8.1 I think. Regarding your "rolling back to Win8.1" am I mistaken in that we usually can uninstall a program and download another one, or does pre-installed mean that it's sort of fixed with glue to your device? What a complicated world it is, why not deciding for free internet for everybody and make the whole system in good working order, in hardware and software both somewhat like a... world wide web? Must be possible, I presume.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, whenever Microsoft pushes out a major change to their Operating Systems (OS) there are quite a few bugs. With the hundreds of thousands of devices that the OS is used on--PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, et al--I was expecting there to be a lot...but so was Microsoft. There was no feasible way for them to truly identify every single piece of hardware and software, and ensure 100% compatibility and compliance!
The problem with 'rolling back to 8.1' is that I didn't get a copy of the software when I bought the tablet, and I don't have certificate or a "serial number" indicating that I have a legitimate copy of that version of Windows. I am sure that if I go through Hewlett Packard I might be able to get the older version.
And you are right, you can replace ANY version of the software with something else (as long as the hardware is compatible). There is a plethora of operating systems out there: Windows, Linux, Unix, and others. Windows is just the accepted norm for the most part.

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim, for explaining that. Now that my intuition is working okay and if Windows is the accepted norm for the most part (Calimero is a bit outside the norm) is there among those O.S. you mention in your message, one that you recommend from experience? Keeping in mind that I'm in the UK with my laptop? Or is the choice dependent of the hardware in my laptop? The details of my laptop and O.S. are given in my profile, don't know if this is visible to everybody here.

Once I've installed Ubuntu and found out there were lots of conditions popping up later, which annoyed me.
One of them was me having to go through the un-installment of the Windows version that I used at that time. The team at the Ubuntu helpdesk wasn't a bunch of rosies and showed up with thorny arrogance. When I mentioned their lack of transparency by not communicating those conditions at the start, silence thundered.
Alas.... I'm now waiting for advise from a friend and if that sounds like your explanations I will restore my laptop to an earlier date and use Windows 8.1.

Ask a Question