This last update was the last straw

Reaction score
I spent 2 days trying to get my computer functional again, finally did, only to find that Chrome and Firefox are both completely hosed on this version.

I'm not switching to Edge.

You just lost a customer - I'll be moving my machine to Linux ASAP.

Bif

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your woes with Creators update, but I run Firefox as my default browser and Chrome to cast video and have had no issues at all since the update.
Did you try manually updating Firefox and Chrome to the latest version?..more details of the problems you are having would be an asset.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Could be another corrupted download? Try the free standing update, if you decise to give it another go.

Bif

Reaction score
Chrome and Firefox are both completely hosed

Just thought about my advice to you regarding updating the two browsers in question would be an exercise in futility considering the "hosed"-ness of the situation...my apologies for that oversight.
Hope the other great recommendations help fix the problems!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Windows Media disk download should offer you the easiest path to a successful update. This is finally the path I took...and it was successful. However, as a minimum your should have a good tech go over your PC to see if there are any problems with your motherboard boot order. It seems the more sophisticated our system gets the more problems that crop up at the most inopportune times.

Reaction score
Yeah, quite a bit has changed in the last 2 years, mine all seem to be better than "back then", even my 2 IP/Insider Preview computers.

Reaction score
I would suggest a poster who refers to "You" in a non-Microsoft forum, be ignored.

Reaction score
It may help if forums had frequent statements on pages as to whether or not they were affiliated with any particular company, some sort of disclaimer to show the separation.

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't notice the old date but you should close the thread to avoid more postings. Just looking to how others had solved the update problem. BTY I found out how to clear the update data which sometimes causes the update app to fail by stopping the update service and the intelligent transfer service then clearing all the update data. I just tried it and it worked wonders.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x80240007?

However, if you’re technically savvy, you can try the steps below:
1. Click Start and start typing on your keyboard for "services.msc"
2. In your search results "services.msc" should show up. Open it with a click.
3. A new windows will open containing all Windows services on your system.
4. Search for "Windows Update"
5. Right-click the "Windows Update" and then click Stop.

We will now clean the Windows Update temporary cache folder:
1. Hold your windows-key pressed and hit "R" key simultanous.
2. A small new windows will appear.
3. Type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore in this new window and click OK.
4. This will open Windows Explorer on the correct location.
5. Delete all contents of this folder. (Hint: Use Ctrl + A to select all files and folders)

Now we will start the Windows Update Service again:
1. Switch back to the windows Services.
2. Locate Windows Update.
3. Right-click on it and choose Start.

Ask a Question