Thumbs.db on desktop

Reaction score
I've seen this question before, but have seen no satisfactory solution. Any time I place an image on my Win10 desktop, a non-hidden file named Thumbs.db appears. I understand its purpose but why in the world make it visible...what possible use would anyone have to see this file? I've seen a solution is to "Hide protected operating system Files" in Folder Options, but unfortunately that solution has a big downside...it makes the $Recycle Bin disappear from Explorer. Ticking "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is also unacceptable... I like seeing the thumbnail pictures. So, question is: How can I make that file disappear permanently without these disadvantages? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thumbs.db will always be created when you've got image files in the same folder (unless you disable thumbnail creation). However, it should normally be hidden on the desktop.

Do you need to be able to view "hidden" files? The default is off, but some people may have a need to have this enabled.

If not, try opening File Explorer (Windows Key + E) and browse to your desktop folder (usually visible on the Quick Access sidebar) then go to View > Options on the toolbar. Now select the "view" tab and choose "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives":

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you, Ian. Hiding "hidden files" causes a much bigger problem. It makes the Recycle Bin disappear from Explorer. I didn't have this problem until the past few months (been a windows user for 20 years or so). Guess I'll have to manually delete thumbs.db each time it appears. I still don't understand why the file should ever be visible.

Ask a Question