Tiles not "Sticking" to Start Menu

Reaction score
A brand new, clean install of Windows 10 Creators Update (Ver 1073) on new hardware. After installing a few utilities (Malwarebytes and some other stuff), I started editing the Start Menu, deleting most of the default tiles and adding two or three new apps.

The process of adding seemed to go fine, except that when I exited and reopened the Start Menu all of the newly added tiles disappeared. The tiles from the default apps that were never removed still show up, but even if I re-add some of the default apps they also disappear.

Very strange. Since it's a clean install and relatively few programs have been added, I'm close to reinstalling from scratch, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a fix that will save me the trouble.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A brand new, clean install of Windows 10 Creators Update
Haven't heard of this particular issue.
My only suggestion would be, after having performed an install you manually check Windows Updates for any outstanding Cumulative Update(s) as well as manually checking the Store app for any updates that may be there as well.
As well as giving the installation and any additional updates a bit of time to sort itself out, including a couple incidental reboots just make sure that the OS is otherwise functioning properly.

Just on the outside chance that there might be a problem, unique to your user profile......
You might want to try creating a new local user as a member of the local administrators groups and see if the problem you're describing also persists while using the other profile.

Reaction score
All the updates have been performed. I've rebooted several times. I'll check it out tomorrow. If it doesn't clear itself, I'll reinstall Windows. This is one case where it's not much work.

Creating a new user account to see if it works properly on the new account won't give me peace of mind. It needs to work on the installer's account, since that's the only one it will ever use (aside the built-in Administrator account). It's not a primary PC, so I can keep it out of service for a while.

Ask a Question