Timing Issues with Photo Story 3

Reaction score
I edited audio in Audacity, generated 50 seconds of silence, and imported it as music into a PhotoStory. I had the timing with the photos perfect, but once I finalized the project, the timing was off and cut off the interview. I don't understand what happened and cannot get it timed correctly. What do I do?!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Melissa, Welcome to the Forum.

I have not looked into this software in a long time, however as I recall there is a specific issue with this software you may or may not be aware of, which I suspect is what is causing your issue.

When you are using PS3 it is capable of quite high resolutions in terms of any image you import; the High Definition is 1980 x 1080 if I rightly recall. However, when you finalize the project, PS3 creates an output designed for standard resolutions which are smaller that what you are seeing. Thus, whilst in the project you may be seeing High Definition images, the finalized is DVD or SVGA quality.

What this means is the frame rates per second will change. When finalized your project will have a frame rate of around 30 fps, but before you finalize the project, because you may be seeing HD images, your frame rate per second will be different. Thus, after finalizing the music you imported that was timed nicely with your story, now will be out of sync because the frame rate has changed.

As I said, its be a long time since I looked at this software, so I am somewhat rusty on all its intricacies, but I imaging you will need to adjust the length of your imported music, to allow for the finalizing process.

Something else that may help is to ensure all images, be they portrait or landscape are set to the same aspect ratio.

PS3 is not very good at handling bit rates of audio files. As a result, you would be wise to avoid .mp3 audio and only use .wav audio files.

Another issue with PS3 is, when you edit the project, for example, delete an image and import a replacement, because of the way PS3 is storing data temporarily in RAM, it can lose up to 0.5 seconds by the end of a 30 second preview. You need to take this into account when you calculate how long to create a .wav file to import. In essence its a bit of trial and error, between importing the audio, testing this in preview mode, adjusting for the potential 0.5 second lag, an so on.

Ultimately, when you set your final settings for output of your finalized project you need to allow for the intricacies of frame rates per second if you decided to burn the project to a DVD. This is because different burning software offers its own set of fps limitations, which might not align with what you chose in your project. For example, AVCHD has an fps of 23.976 fps, but most software will only allow you to set 24 or 25 fps, and that will result in your synced audio becoming either too short for the final project, or too long. Either way, it means going back to the drawing board and importing either a newly edited audio file, or removing / adding another image frame to the Story to compensate for this.

Hopefully, the information above will help you out. Sorry that I cannot offer a precise solution, because each project has its own intricacies to deal with. All I can really conclude with is, keep at it, and eventually all will work out.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question