Tomorrow

Reaction score
Looks like they are determined to make Windows 10 build 10, for tidiness.
FWIW. Even a jump back to 99xx just before the last:

• 10.0.10000.0.fbl_lad.150119-2010
  • 10.0.9925.0.fbl_mobs_dev02.150119-2000
  • 10.0.10000.0.fbl_ie.150119-1730
  • 10.0.10000.0.fbl_photos.150119-1721
  • 10.0.10000.0.fbl_outlook.150119-1721
  • 10.0.9925.0.fbl_enf.150119-1700

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
0445 and no update is showing. Guess it will be released later.
Yes... the event is scheduled for 9:00 A.M Pacific Standard Time, So.......
Approximately 20 minutes from now.
Although I am not sure when exactly the update will be generally available to Windows Insiders or what format it will take (ISO or Upgrade or both).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Almost one hour up now. A load of blurb at the start, advertising the new product. Still talking intensively about Cortana.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that was interesting at least.
Unfortunately no build available until evidently sometime later in the week.

Reaction score
Didn't get to watch the live presentation but did watch in replay. Pretty cool stuff with the holographic capabilities. If I heard correctly the new Spartan browser will not be included in the 9880 build but will show up later as an update. I wonder what prompted the free upgrade offerings to Win 7, 8.1 and 8.1 phones users. Maybe just a concentrated effort to get more people using a common OS?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My best guess would be that they would identify the installation with certain items of hardware and lock the installation to those particular products.
Much the same way they do with OEM installations.
But that is only a guess.

Reaction score
If you don't want to sit through the meting, here is an excellent summary of the major points presented.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7865539/microsoft-windows-10-event-what-you-need-to-know

.Emphasis was on Cortana and the Holograph device. Both items I would not have too much interest in - The latter due to the size of my wallet.
I am interested to see how "Spartan performs against Chrome, as they are both stripped down browsers.

The Xbox feature (Xbox on your desktop", I wasn't too clear about. Probably my ancient brain could not grasp the concept. I use a couple of time wasters xbox games now on my Windows 8.1 desktop. But it did seem to be quite a lot more than that - very much like Skype.
Anyway, a couple of these items we will not see for a few months yet, so I am still anxious to see how the January build shapes up.

Reaction score
My best guess would be that they would identify the installation with certain items of hardware and lock the installation to those particular products.
Much the same way they do with OEM installations.
But that is only a guess.

That would be kind of a bummer since I like to do a major upgrade or build a whole new box once a year or so. I note that they use the word "upgraded" as qualifying for free updates. What if it is a new computer and Windows 10 is installed and not upgraded. I wonder if we will need to keep a copy of Windows 8 to install first and then upgrade it to Windows 10 in order to qualify?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am interested to see how "Spartan performs against Chrome, as they are both stripped down browsers.
Me too.... very interested.
However I'm more interested in seeing if it is intertwined with the Operating System as has been the case in previous version of IE.
In the past if you were running XP you were stuck with IE 8 and couldn't upgrade to 9, 10 or 11. If you were running Vista you were stuck with 9 and couldn't upgrade to 10 or 11.
This was a serious shortcoming in my opinion and forced people to use third party browsers in order to maintain a certain level of security when browsing the internet.

As far as it being "stripped down" it looked pretty robust to me. The part about capturing a particular page and marking it up with notations while keeping the associated links and such live was pretty cool and then being able to share it through social media and such was at the very least, a nice feature, for those who might be interested in that kind of thing.

Reaction score
That would be kind of a bummer since I like to do a major upgrade or build a whole new box once a year or so. I note that they use the word "upgraded" as qualifying for free updates. What if it is a new computer and Windows 10 is installed and not upgraded. I wonder if we will need to keep a copy of Windows 8 to install first and then upgrade it to Windows 10 in order to qualify?
You may need it at least installed on the hdd. I would assume you could still do a clean install. But the details haven't been released yet, so who knows?

Ask a Question