SOLVED TomTom Sat Nav not compatable

Reaction score
I have a TomTom SatNav with lifetime map updates. Previously had Windows XP and it worked to update the SatNav as required. The device is only 18 months old, but since upgrading to Windows 10 I am unable to update maps. I have liaised with TomTom and tried all their suggestions to fix this and it appears all the relevant drivers and software etc are working and up to date. However my computer simply shows that the SatNav is not connected. I have now borrowed a friends laptop still running on Windows 7 and this has connected without any problems and installed the required map updates. I think this shows that there is a compatibility issue between Windows 10 and TomTom which needs resolving.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would assume that "updating maps" would require an internet connections.
In your talks with TomTom did they happen to mention adding the program to the windows firewall allowed list?

Bif

Reaction score
I had a TomTom a few years ago and I constantly had trouble with map updates,it was TomTom and their server/ software not my system (7).
I now own a Garmin and have never looked back...AND their customer service is among the best.Not sure why 10 won't see your device though..try uninstalling and reinstalling the TomTom software it could be just that the USB driver did the funky chicken..it's worth a try.
Let us know!

Reaction score
I would assume that "updating maps" would require an internet connections.
In your talks with TomTom did they happen to mention adding the program to the windows firewall allowed list?
Thanks for the suggestion, given it a try but no change. Worth a try though. I am not particularly technical but I think the internet bit is OK as I can access the TomTom site and log in and see my updates are there etc. Its just I cannot download them to the device because it will not connect.

Reaction score
I had a TomTom a few years ago and I constantly had trouble with map updates,it was TomTom and their server/ software not my system (7).
I now own a Garmin and have never looked back...AND their customer service is among the best.Not sure why 10 won't see your device though..try uninstalling and reinstalling the TomTom software it could be just that the USB driver did the funky chicken..it's worth a try.
Let us know!
Thanks for the info, but on this occasion I dont think it is the TomTom server as I have managed to successfully download the updates using an older version of windows.

Bif

Reaction score
Possibly try (if you haven't already) a different USB port...I know that can sometimes be an issue..sorry grasping at straws here.It may be that simply it's not a supported device with 10..which makes no sense since it worked fine in 7.
Also make sure it is FULLY charged before connecting it..

whoops...ya caught me in mid type!
Glad you were able to get the updates in the end..

Ask a Question