Toolbars

Reaction score
I would like to know how the person on the Win10 commercial got the purple toolbar? I cant change anything and there is absolutely nothing I like about it!!! I tried to uninstall the whole thing it wont let me. My dad got sick and passed not 2wks after installing win 10 so now I cant get rid of it because running my laptop wasnt a concern. I cant stand Win10, edge. The toolbar is overbearing and useless!!! Cant get my yahoo toolbar with all my stuff on it, that I can close when I want to and times I do. How do I get rid of Win10/Edge?

Reaction score
You do not have to use Edge at all. Install you favourite browser and, in the Control panel - Default options, make it the default.
Your Taskbar query. Not sure which commercial to which you refer, but do you mean something like mine?

Capture.PNG

If so: Settings - personalisation. Ensure you have "Show colour on Start..etc... ON, and pick ma colour (Choose an accent colour)

Last edited:
Reaction score
You do not have to use Edge at all. Install you favourite browser and, in the Control panel - Default options, make it the default.
Your Taskbar query. Not sure which commercial to which you refer, but do you mean something like mine?

View attachment 1009

If so: Settings - personalisation. Ensure you have "Show colour on Start..etc... ON, and pick ma colour (Choose an accent colour)

I did, have no options anymore there either. Its all white, taking up 1/4 of my screen both those things and several others I just cant stand. To the point I just cant use my laptop nearly as much. Guess I might have to buy another laptop with win 8, really has me upset! My mother cant stand hers either.

Reaction score
My taskbar is green, no I am talking about the no option toolbars now in both browsers, along with just about everything else.

Reaction score
I would guess, from your posts, that you are probably too late to roll back to your previous OS.? You have one month , from the time of installation, to do so.

Your laptop is probably an OEM installation. If you look for a label, usually on the bottom of the machine, you should find the details of the original OS, and the product Installation Key. Download a copy of that particular OS and reinstall with the same key.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Deborah and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are very unsatisfied with Windows 10 and maybe more specifically with Microsoft Edge (The Default Browser).
You need to stop and take a breath and realize that you have a myriad of options to make Windows 10 into whatever you want it to be.
First you need to understand that the new "Apps" are not true Win32 Applications and as a result, do not have a familiar toolbar / menu bar and you cannot change that.
However on most if not all of the true Win32 apps (Like Internet Explorer), if the menu bar is not visible by default you can simply tap the "Alt" key to evoke it.

What you can do is change your default Browser, either by Changing it to Internet Explorer or by installing one of many third party options like Chrome or Firefox and simply making sure that the box is checked during the install to make it your default browser.
Additionally......
You can install something like "Classic Shell" http://classicshell.net/
To get a Start Menu that your may be more familiar with.

The OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) for many people (especially if you are coming from Windows 7) is less than optimal and can be a bit frustrating to say the least.
That is no reason why you should surrender control and function to the new OS.
Take the time, and make the effort to make you computer do what you want it to, rather than what it wants you to do.
If you don't like many or any of the "Windows Universal Apps" you can avoid them altogether by simply right clicking them and choose "unpin" or if you really want to get rid of them "uninstall".

Reaction score
I would guess, from your posts, that you are probably too late to roll back to your previous OS.? You have one month , from the time of installation, to do so.

Your laptop is probably an OEM installation. If you look for a label, usually on the bottom of the machine, you should find the details of the original OS, and the product Installation Key. Download a copy of that particular OS and reinstall with the same key.

Thank you,
Yes, installed automatically, about a week into it got a call my Dad who lives in another state was very sick, he past a few days later so wasnt really using my pc let alone worrying about it. I'm not sure how it was when I bought it. Dont want to mess with it to much till my mind is back with it, right now it isn't and this is a problem I really dont need.
Thank you very much

Reaction score
Hello Deborah and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you are very unsatisfied with Windows 10 and maybe more specifically with Microsoft Edge (The Default Browser).
You need to stop and take a breath and realize that you have a myriad of options to make Windows 10 into whatever you want it to be.
First you need to understand that the new "Apps" are not true Win32 Applications and as a result, do not have a familiar toolbar / menu bar and you cannot change that.
However on most if not all of the true Win32 apps (Like Internet Explorer), if the menu bar is not visible by default you can simply tap the "Alt" key to evoke it.

What you can do is change your default Browser, either by Changing it to Internet Explorer or by installing one of many third party options like Chrome or Firefox and simply making sure that the box is checked during the install to make it your default browser.
Additionally......
You can install something like "Classic Shell" http://classicshell.net/
To get a Start Menu that your may be more familiar with.

The OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) for many people (especially if you are coming from Windows 7) is less than optimal and can be a bit frustrating to say the least.
That is no reason why you should surrender control and function to the new OS.
Take the time, and make the effort to make you computer do what you want it to, rather than what it wants you to do.
If you don't like many or any of the "Windows Universal Apps" you can avoid them altogether by simply right clicking them and choose "unpin" or if you really want to get rid of them "uninstall".

I have win 8.1, wasnt all that happy with that either, liked XP which thankfully is still on my desk top. I have a condition, Narcolepsy that makes doing all that difficult without screwing up my laptop. Tried everything else to change the toolbar color and shorten it. It takes up far to much space, looks awful and no options that I can find that dont make it worse. It took me a long time to finally get it set up so I could use it and not get headaches. So frustrated? Yes, extremely.
But thank you for responding.
Deb Tyler

Ask a Question