total disaster

Reaction score
My business computer was put through the Win 10 upgrade even though we kept postponing it, (We wanted to cancel the upgrade but the download only offered this option). The upgrade started up even with the postponing. Once the upgrade was in, we found that we could no longer remote or use our various VPN clients. Our Outlook contacts had disappeared and several other problems had come up. We tried calling Microsoft telephone support but they were of no help at all. So, we decided to rollback to Win 7. Big mistake !!!! The machine could not be rolled back due to errors and the computer became unbootable. We tried to repair with a Win 7 CD but could not run it.Then tried a reinstall which gave us basic windows but without a network adapter and no usb support. I finally had to put in a new ssd and do a clean install which gave us win 7 and eventually we got all the necessary drivers back in. I then had to try to install over 200 updates which took hours and failed to configure properly . I had to install the updates 2 to 5 at a time until they were all in. We still need IT to help restore our VPN s and are having difficulties installing backups.My other computers upgraded with only minor problems but this one (the most important of the bunch) was totally bricked and all the backups were of no help. So , please ensure that you have a cloned drive or a a drive image before upgrading and DO NOT rely on the postpone selection.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello ChrisN and welcome to the forum.
Very sorry to hear about your terrible experience with the upgrade on such a critical computer, but thank you for posting the information and hopefully others will read it and be warned of the potential problems that can result from performing such a serious step as a full Operating System Upgrade on a mission critical computer (or any computer for that matter) without first, taking the necessary steps to ensure that they have a strong fall back position in case of disaster.

Ask a Question