SOLVED Touchpad and Numeric keys problems

Reaction score
My problem started after updating windows 8.1 to windows 10, of course! First the touchpad just stopped working, for no reason. My solution was to uninstall the drive and restart the laptop. And from time to time I had to do this proceed. Two weeks ago windows updated, and the touchpad issue's gone.

. Unfortunately, another one appeared. The feature "mousekey", which is turn it on at ease access to use the numeric keys to use them as a mouse, It's turning itself on. And doesn't matter how many times I turn it off, few seconds and it's on again. I've tried uninstalling the drive, which after windows the last updating was "ELAN". Then I replaced by the Toshiba drivers, which is "Synaptic", and uninstalled the drives, the problem is the same.

Because of that, I can't use my numeric key, which is annoying!! If anyone can come up with something I will be grateful.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Rose and welcome to the forum.
Which laptop??
Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number please)?
For the most part, laptop drivers are best obtained from the laptop manufacturer's website.
Touchpad / Trackpad drivers from Elan, Alps, Synaptic, etc. are very specific and are not interchangeable. That is to say that, a driver for one will probably not work or will not work optimally on another.

Reaction score
Hello Noob,

Thanks for answering me quickly. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S-50B-15N. The Elan drive's been updated by windows. It does not matter how many times I uninstall it. Windows updates diary. Even when is disabled to do automatically download it. Synaptics driver I download from Toshiba's website, I installed it on my laptop and did not make any difference. Both has the same problem, and I still without my numeric keyboard. So any suggestion?

Thanks in advanced

Synaptics Touch Pad Driver 19.024.9 - Toshiba website
ELAN Touchpad 15.8.8.2_X64_WHQL - Windows updates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think you should probably start by using device manager to completely uninstall any touchpad that may be present and when prompted, also uninstall associated drivers.
Double check Control Panel, Programs and Features and remove any associated software packages as well.
Reboot the computer and let Windows 10 search for a driver and see what the automatic hardware installation wizard produces.
I'm relatively certain that you are not helping your problem by having two drivers for two different hardware devices installed.

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks again for answering me. Maybe, I did not explain it correctly. I do not have two drivers installed. Before installing Synaptics from Toshiba's website, I uninstalled ELAN driver from my laptop. And also, I have already done, exactly what you said before. And I just did not uninstall the touchpad the but also the keyboard drivers. I just installed Synaptics driver from Toshiba's website because the one which was chosen by Windows (ELAN) was not working properly. Neither Toshiba's nor Windows drivers are working properly, indded. And it seems both are having the same problem.

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number please)?
There are multiple Toshiba Satellite S-50B-15N depending on where you may have purchased the laptop (geographically).
PSPRBE
PSPQEE
PSPQ6E
PSPQ2V
PSPQ2E
Just a few that I'm finding. Can you advise as to which model you might have?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
It is not on the list. But if you go to
Supported models for upgrade to Windows 10
Please check here for more information about whether your model has all updated software ready for your upgrade.
And type the part number it is, as long as it 64 bits either 7 or 8.1. It would be a surprise do not have an upgrade to windows, because the laptop is quite new. It is not the best, but also is not the worse. This is the only problem, for now. That just appeared after the last windows update 1 month ago. Anyway, I am going to check if both drivers appear in the register.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It would be a surprise do not have an upgrade to windows
I agree as in most cases, hardware that worked with Windows 8.1 64bit seems to work just as well with Windows 10 64bit, but......
The problem is.....
Windows 10 will not leave the driver update settings alone, at least not for most people. It seems to keep installing its' own idea of what the driver should be.
This was not a problem in most earlier versions of Windows, as you could simply go to System -> Advanced system settings -> Select the Hardware tab -> Device Installation Settings button.....
And force it to leave your hardware drivers alone.
While this setting is still available in Windows 10 (pro at least).... it does not always seem to work in all cases for everyone.
You can of course try it and then reboot, then remove and reinstall the drivers from the Toshiba website only and see if Windows 10 will stop changing your driver.

Reaction score
Although, it is set Windows still installing the driver. The only thing that I can do is postpone restart. I will keep looking for the solution and I will post here when I find out.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up Rose.
Good luck and would appreciate it if you could post your solution if you find one. I'm certain many would find it helpful.

Reaction score
Well, the problem's gone strangely I must say. I went to settings,/Accounts/Sync your Settings/ and I turned Sync settings off. The problem immediately stopped. I waited for 1 week and turned Sync settings on again. It is working, normally. Unfortunately, another weird behaviour appeared. My laptop does not go to sleep/hibernate automatically anymore it doe snot matter how long or short is the time. My laptop is settings to hibernate in 20 minutes. Before was working perfectly, now it does nothing. Neither sleeps nor hibernate.

Ask a Question