SOLVED Tower And Monitor Going To Sleep Despite ...

Reaction score
Accepted the Windows 10 upgrade (with Microsoft Edge browser) a few months ago on my Dell XPS 9100 desktop pc. (Also still have Windows 7 w/ IE 11 on here and everything works fine). Except, all the sudden, regardless of what sleep perimeters I set, the monitor goes to sleep after 3 to 5 minutes and the tower goes to sleep shortly after the monitor. Tried every setting I could think of. All of this has worked fine for all the years I've had this Dell XPS 9100 desktop AND it (sleep/power settings) still worked perfectly right along with the Windows 10 install ... up until a few days ago. Don't know what happened. Everything else is fine. PC just keeps going to sleep on me every 3 to 5 minutes now (when not in use, I should add). If I walk away for 10 minutes, with "Screen" set to 30 minutes and "Power" set to 1 hour (for example), and return to my pc after 10 minutes, everything is asleep.

Would appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide. I'm lost on this one. Don't know what other settings I can try to resolve this.

Many thanks (in advance).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Double check the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and confirm there is nothing there concerning C-States or Energy Saving settings that might be causing the issue, then....
If you are using a Dell power scheme, consider switch to one of the native Windows Power Schemes, I suggest "High Performance" and then try turning off everything the looks like it might be contributing to the problem.
Something like this

PowerPlanMax.jpg

Additionally if you see any mention of "Hybrid Sleep" turn that off as well.
If that seems to help with the problem, then you can go back and change the settings to something more conventional as you see fit.
Additionally, double check your screen saver and make sure that it is not messing with your system.

Reaction score
Trouble ... Thanks for your guidance. Was I supposed to change everything you show here to exactly what you are showing here? I changed about 90% of the settings you show here. I didn't change every, single one of them because I'm not sure what kind of effect changing ALL of them would have on my pc AND how to revert back if something went haywire on me. I did change setting that pertain to the power plan, sleep, hibernate, display, etc. But, am I supposed to set "No" to "Require a password on wakeup"?? Is that needed?? I prefer to leave my pc as "Password required on wakeup". In other words, are you saying to make sure ALL the settings you show here ARE set that way?

Thanks kindly ... Gingerfan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just a suggestive guideline not a stone tablet.
AND
I did mention that if the problem goes away then to go back end and change them to what ever you want.

Reaction score
Trouble ... All of the sudden, out of nowhere, my Dell XPS9100 desktop with the "Tower And Monitor Going To Sleep Despite" issue has rectified itself. I don't know how or why but I did want you/this Forum to know that my issue apparently is no longer an issue.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers ... Gingerfan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great to hear.
Thank you very much for the follow-up and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question