SOLVED Transferring main account

Reaction score
Now that I have purchased a Surface device I would like to transfer my laptop to my spouse. However, when my laptop turns on the only choice I have to sign in is my own account. How do I transfer main ownership to her such that when the laptop comes on it is her name that comes up? Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The first thing you will need to do is add a second user account to the system for her to use. Make sure when you create the account that you do so as to make it a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user).
After doing so you should see a second account option to select bottom left of the sign in screen. then test the new user to make sure that the new account has access to all the nooks and crannies and behaves as expected.
Then you should be able to either....
Keep both accounts active on the computer, disable your old account, or delete your old account choosing to keep the files associated with that account or delete them.

Please make sure that the new account is an administrator account.

Reaction score
Thank you very kindly unfortunately, while I have created a 2nd account for my wife, I have been totally, utterly, completely unable to find a place that would allow me to make her an administrator. As a result her name does not show up as a person who can sign on to the computer. Can you please help me figure out how I can make her an Administrator now that I have created her account? Thank you very much.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Log in as you and go to user accounts in control panel, click manage another account, click her account, click change the account type select the radio button that says Administrator.

Capture.PNG

Log off from your account and log on as her, should be in the bottom left as a choice on the sign in screen.

Reaction score
I have been on the phone with Microsoft Support thus far for 4.5 hours with the Support team from the Philippines and I am still on the phone with them. At the moment, that MS Support team's answer is that it is simply NOT possible to have more than 1 person assigned to a device as an administrator and a user administrator like myself has no authority to assign someone else an administrator role nor to change my role: it is totally to be done by Microsoft's engineers. THIS IS ABOMINABLE, COMING FROM MICROSOFT TECHNICAL SUPPORT and well worth a note to the Microsoft Legal department and Satya Nadella. My deep frustration is not directed at you, "Trouble" as I much appreciate the simple solution you offer that I am unable to test as MS Support has deinstalled Windows 10, recommended that I use Windows 8 to which I angrily responded that I want Windows 10 reinstalled on my laptop.

Reaction score
Log in as you and go to user accounts in control panel, click manage another account, click her account, click change the account type select the radio button that says Administrator.

View attachment 1894

Log off from your account and log on as her, should be in the bottom left as a choice on the sign in screen.

Thank you!!!!!!! My Windows 10 screen views look totally different than the screen shots included above, but -- O JOY -- thanks to you, I can find how to change a user's account set up. It took about 5 minutes to do it successfully vs. spending 5 hours on the phone with MS Support in the Philppines yesterday, 5 hours at the end of which MS Support could not offer any suggestions on how to do it after removing Windows 10, installing Windows 8 and reinstalling Windows 10. Again, THANK YOU!!!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to get it sorted.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question