Trouble installing Classic Shell 4.2.5

Reaction score
I decided to finally update Classic Shell from version 4.2.4 to 4.2.5.
  • At first the installer was telling me that 4.2.5 couldn't find the installer package for 4.2.4. WTH!
  • OK - So I fall back and try a repair install of 4.24 first. Which results in an unexpected error and the installer aborts.
  • Then I consider running the installer As Administrator. What do you know, both installers complete without issue when Run As Administrator. I ran version 4.2.4 first. So I can't say if 4.2.5 would have run successfully without running 4.2.4 first.
The need to "Run As Administrator" pisses me off, when I am the only user of my machine and have administrator privileges. Running as administrator should be the default in a system run with administrator privileges. Having the option to run as administrator only creates confusion. The average person would have been scratching their head and left to think their machine is broken. In which case many might decide to ignore the error and continue using outdated software. I have to be honest the thought even crossed my mind before I thought about the "Run As Administrator" option.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well at least you've discovered and shared a reasonable work around that others can use, so....
That's definitely a plus.

Reaction score
Yeah that was pretty much the point in posting was to share my findings.

I had a debate on TechSpot. I was being told it was my fault for Turning UAC off. It was suggested that only the notifications was being turned off, and that the control in the background was still functional. I called that BS, even though I do respect the guy. I can't believe Microsoft would be so stupid in botching programming so badly. But then there is definitely something causing this phenomenon.

The biggest thing I disagreed on was the notion that the permissions concept has been around since Windows XP. But yet it is my fault (since I turn off UAC) that it is now causing issues in Windows 10, when I never had issues in Windows 7.

Ask a Question