Trouble updating to Windows 1511

Reaction score
The problem with my pc is this. I upgraded to windows 10 in January. Beginning on March 13, I received notification that an upgrade was available, Windows 10, version 1511. That installation failed and has failed everyday since then. My systems keeps trying to update and I keep getting a "fail" this is doubly frustrating because, where I live, I only get a limited amount of internet service for downloading and will go into "FAP", (in case you are wondering, that is a 24 hour punishment for going over you internet limit),and my internet service slows down to a crawl. This has been happening almost every night. I can't even figure out how to STOP the automatic updates until I can get this fixed. Someone please help!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to obtain the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
OR
You can simply double click the ISO to mount it and run setup.exe from within your current version of Windows 10 and perform the in-place upgrade from the local resource.
You can disconnect from the internet, uncheck the box that says something like "get the latest updates" or click not now or whatever it says.
That should get you to 10586.
Personally, I'd make sure all my critical data was backed up and I'd also create a disk image just in case things didn't go as planned.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought the OP stated that she was already on Windows 10 and was having trouble updating to the November Updated 1511 10586.
Maybe I missed something.

Regedit32

Reaction score
thought the OP stated that she was already on Windows 10 and was having trouble updating to the November Updated 1511 10586.

Ahh you are correct. I misread the OP. I'll just delete my post to prevent confusion.

Thanks for pointing that out Trouble

Reaction score
t
I'll just delete my post to prevent confusion.
As a moderator, although you can, it may not be a good idea to completely delete your post because that also causes confusion.

Otherwise, it would appear the download situation could be involved. But the install usually does not start until the download has completed. It does still try to download updates and drivers but you might be able to do the update while offline to see if it will complete. If the image is not available for the upgrade then perhaps Trouble's suggestion would allow you to install from within the current install.

If that doesn't work, I would be looking at available space on the drive to make sure it is not running out of room..

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought the OP stated that she was already on Windows 10 and was having trouble updating to the November Updated 1511 10586.
Yes, you are correct...I am already on Windows 10 and having trouble updating to the November update 1511 10586. Is there an answer to my dilemma?

Ask a Question