SOLVED Trouble with IE 11 windows 10 running slow

Reaction score
Lately I've been having some problems with IE 11 loading my home page, MSN.com. It takes a few minutes after the page loads before I can start scrolling or clicking on stories. Seems to hand up clicking on some things. Under run without permission I have under Microsoft Corporation about 18 add on's. Do I really need all of these or can I disable all of them. What exactly are they for. After that there's a list of more under Microsoft Windows. Would appreciate some advise as what to do with them.
Screenshot (34).png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gage3780,

I know it seems like that is a lot of add-ons [extensions], but I believe if you were to select one at a time, you'd see an additional link in the lower panel that says: More Information and if you click this, a popup window will display, which has a panel at the bottom that stores websites you gave permission to make use of the add-on you currently selected.

My guess is that in many cases you will see these panels are empty and this the add-on is not actually running, but in the case where you do happen across a panel that does contain websites, you can select those websites and remove them.

It would not make a lot of sense to disable an add-on if in fact you are using it, but if there are add-ons you are never using, then you could if you like disable those ones.

I suspect you may see some better improvements by deleting cookies, etcetera, and if you are willing to lose any additional add-ons you added yourself, then you could reset the browser completely to its factory state, by clicking Tools cog > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset button

• It may also help to clear your DNS Cache which may improve connection speed to a site
  • You can do that by pressing windows key + S to give focus to the search field
  • Now in search field type command
  • In search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste this command:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter key to execute

Type exit and press Enter key to close the console​

As the actual OS is also sluggish, it may help to do a Disk Cleanup which you can access by typing Disk Cleanup into the search field then pressing Enter key

If that makes not a lot of difference, then it might be a good time to consider downloading the Windows.iso image that matches your current installation, then right-clicking on the download and selecting Mount then when this opens clicking the Setup.exe to re-install Windows over itself. During this process you can choose to keep files and settings so you will not lose anything, but this often will help Windows run far better, and to be honest, is highly likely to improve Internet Explorer 11 too given that comes pre-installed with Windows 10, so it too will be refreshed during the in-place upgrade [ Repair install].

If you go to the Articles section of this Forum, Ian posted an article on how to download the Windows.iso image.

This website: https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ has an excellent section half way down the page called Windows 10 repair installation which includes images of each screen you will see after running the Setup.exe and an explanation what to do.

Reaction score
I did the DNS flush and ran the windows update fixer because I had an update that wouldn't download. Now that's working again. Pages seem to be loading better but the msn pages with Microsoft passport are the ones that hang up for a while. Ran anti-virus and anti-malware and they where all clean. I'm going to see how my system runs for a white before I do the Windows ISO. I really appreciate your help. Especially with the ISO. It's nice to be able to reinstall the entire Windows without losing any thing like I the reset.

Reaction score
I did the DNS flush and ran the windows update fixer because I had an update that wouldn't download. Now that's working again. Pages seem to be loading better but the msn pages with Microsoft passport are the ones that hang up for a while. Ran anti-virus and anti-malware and they where all clean. I'm going to see how my system runs for a white before I do the Windows ISO. I really appreciate your help. Especially with the ISO. It's nice to be able to reinstall the entire Windows without losing any thing like I the reset.
I got IE 11 to work by disabling Enhance Protected Mode. Now that its off the page loads fine and it doesn't lock up, freeze or crash. I guess this is ok without the extra protection. I don't know why all of a sudden this started causing problems. I went to the Microsoft site to run the iSO tool and by mistake and hit update and it told me I had the wrong version and downloaded the new Creators version of window, build 1703. My Administrative command prompts are gone and replaced by the powershell. Also the internet explorer trouble shooter option is gone too! It not quite sure what other changes were made?

Regedit32

Reaction score
downloaded the new Creators version of window, build 1703. My Administrative command prompts are gone and replaced by the powershell. Also the internet explorer trouble shooter option is gone too! It not quite sure what other changes were made?

That is unfortunate, but at the same time it is good to keep updated with the Windows OS, as Microsoft are introducing new features and fixing known issues during these cumulative updates. Another major update is due in the Fall.

If you want the Command Prompt and Command Prompt (Admin) to appear on your power menu [i.e. when you right-click on Start] rather than Windows PowerShell and Windows PowerShell (Admin), then do the following:
  1. Right-click on Start and select Settings
  2. Click the Personalization
  3. On the left side select Taskbar
  4. In the main window there will be a toggle which you can toggle to OFF to replace the Windows PowerShell with Command Prompt
command.png

Re Internet Explorer troubleshooting tool — To be honest I do not recall that specific tool, as I do not use IE 11, however, in the Creator 1703 edition you now are using of Windows, there are two ways to get to Troubleshooting tools:
  • You can right-click on Start and select Settings
  • Click on Update & security
  • On left side select Troubleshoot
This will display 14 tools to troubleshoot with.

There are however, 24 troubleshooting tools which can be accessed by doing the following:​
  • Press Windows key + S together to give focus to your search field
  • In the search field type control panel then press Enter key
  • In the Control Panel's search field located at top right corner type trouble then click Troubleshooting
trouble1.png

On the next screen click View all located on the left side

trouble2.png

A new screen will appear.

It will take a moment to load the tools, but when done you'll see 24 troubleshooting tools appear.

trouble3.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit I love your problem solving skills and willingness to help others. Your answers are so thorough, you must be a very knowledgeable with the workings of Windows OS.
I'm not sure about the right click and select settings, doesn't work that way in Win 10 Pro version. :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the right click and select settings, doesn't work that way in Win 10 Pro version.

Thanks for letting me know that Norton.

On the Home edition it does, and I say that to avoid confusion with the alternate:
  • Left-click on Start then left-click on Settings cog
As it occurred to me that some users may not know what the settings cog is; just as some users do not know what it means when we say click Start [meaning the Microsoft flag].

I noticed in the Microsoft Forums they use little icons in their instructions which would be great if we could use here too, as they match what you do see on your screen or keyboard.​

Reaction score
Regedit I agree; Little Icons sure would help.
I noticed an anomaly with Windows 10 Taskbar. The Windows start icon is the only icon that doesn't name its function (Win10 Pro) by hovering the mouse pointer over it. Even Win 7 says "Start" when the mouse is hovered over it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My thoughts are that if folks don't know that the "Start" button is located in the bottom most left of their screen / extreme left most portion of the taskbar.....
Exactly where it has been since Windows 95 and that it is still used to launch the "Start Menu" (such as it is) and that just because it doesn't actually say "Start" anymore well then maybe, we've got our work cut out for us.
Likewise if they don't know what or where the "Windows Logo" key is on their keyboards

windows_key.jpg

Then perhaps we should create an "Article" and maybe begin by pointing everyone to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

Personally, I'll continue to construct my posts as I have, by referencing the "Start Button" and the "Windows Logo Key", etc.,
I'm reluctant to begin helping based on the lowest common denominator (although sometimes it may be required) and I'm not going to "Start" by drawing pictures of the most simple and basic aspects of the interface.
I won't start off by insulting someone's intelligence. IF they don't understand something I've said in a post...... Let them ask and I'll answer (assuming of course.... I understand what I've said).

Reaction score
I think the older some folks get familiarity with new OS becomes their comfort zone, our youngsters are not afraid to explore what this key or icon does, they don't worry about the consequences.

Reaction score
That is unfortunate, but at the same time it is good to keep updated with the Windows OS, as Microsoft are introducing new features and fixing known issues during these cumulative updates. Another major update is due in the Fall.

If you want the Command Prompt and Command Prompt (Admin) to appear on your power menu [i.e. when you right-click on Start] rather than Windows PowerShell and Windows PowerShell (Admin), then do the following:
  1. Right-click on Start and select Settings
  2. Click the Personalization
  3. On the left side select Taskbar
  4. In the main window there will be a toggle which you can toggle to OFF to replace the Windows PowerShell with Command Prompt

Re Internet Explorer troubleshooting tool — To be honest I do not recall that specific tool, as I do not use IE 11, however, in the Creator 1703 edition you now are using of Windows, there are two ways to get to Troubleshooting tools:
  • You can right-click on Start and select Settings
  • Click on Update & security
  • On left side select Troubleshoot
This will display 14 tools to troubleshoot with.

There are however, 24 troubleshooting tools which can be accessed by doing the following:​
  • Press Windows key + S together to give focus to your search field
  • In the search field type control panel then press Enter key
  • In the Control Panel's search field located at top right corner type trouble then click Troubleshooting
View attachment 6539

On the next screen click View all located on the left side

View attachment 6540

A new screen will appear.

It will take a moment to load the tools, but when done you'll see 24 troubleshooting tools appear.

View attachment 6541

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I appreciate your help. I've found the taskbar settings. It seems using the Power Shell Admin command is just as good as the other one. I'm still having with IE 11 crashing and freeing on some sites where the site like Microsoft Help, I get an error Microsoft is not responding and Windows is searching for a solution. I'm going to have to do the ISO and see if it helps it. I think my registry may be corrupted. I've been using EDGE with no problems. There used to be a Trouble shoot IE in the control panel trouble shootings. I guess it may have been removed in the 1703 build. It never found anything wrong anyway. Thanks again for you advice and help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    127.2 KB · Views: 564

Ask a Question