Try Unplugging

Reaction score
Here's a little tidbit I just discovered since dual booting my Win 7 laptop. It got stuck somewhere between OS's on a restart with just a blinking horizontal cursor at the top left corner of the screen. After waiting too long I forced a shutdown with the power key. Power up showed the same blinking cursor. Unplugged 4 way USB hub, Powered up and boom! Win 10 splash screen. Lesson learned: when in doubt try simplifying things.

Reaction score
Now that I have reset my windows 10 on my Laptop after a troubled upgrade from win 7, I am enjoying the new OS. The only problem area I have is installing and configuring win updates. My laptop plays up, freezes, locks up and I have to reboot by removing the Battery for a minute. Every time I have these lockups, and reboot I find the problem appears to be "win updates" trying to install/configure. Anyone got any ideas???

Reaction score
It got stuck somewhere between OS's on a restart with just a blinking horizontal cursor at the top left corner of the screen.

Go to Run > msconfig > OK > select Boot tab at top > select Win 7 > click Set as default > at Timeouts > set at 30 > OK.
Restart.
I think that would stop the long delay and you should now have the option to choose the OS each time you restart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. Been there seen that. I am familiar with msconfig. I used to use it for clean boot. I had easyBCD for a short while then uninstalled it. After removal there is a difference between restart and power up. At power up a blue background screen prompts to select Win 7 or Win 10. A restart brings up a black background screen that resembles command prompt showing Win 7 as default and the option to use arrows to select Win 10. Never saw this screen before easyBCD but it's still there after uninstall. At any rate, everything works the way I want it so i'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Here's a little more on this. I just went to msconfig and changed timeout from 30 to 60 seconds then timed the next restart with my watch, The black background screen is titled Windows Boot Manager so it may not be related to easyBCD. After 60 seconds a Win 10 splash screen shows up so making changes in msconfig is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question