Trying to upgrade, but keep getting BSOD

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade a Lenovo U410 to Windows 10, but I keep receiving this error:
0xC1900101 - 0x40017.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Reaction score
Suggestions only :

1. Uninstall your anti-virus program and then try to do the upgrade again. You can always reinstall the AV afterwards. Do you happen to have Avast ?

2. If you are presently running Win 8.1, go to Change PC settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery >Advanced startup > Troubleshoot > Reset your PC, run the Reset. Then try upgrading. Caution, backup four files before Reset.
P.S. I don't have Win 8.1 anymore. So steps mentioned above is by memory. I could have missed a step or 2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well try this way.........

1. Download the media Creation Toll. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That creates a Win 10 ISO.
You can burn the iso to a bootable media later. For this method, it is not required.

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps (most of them.)
This method does not require product key.
Activation is automatic.

I used the same method to install my 2 laptops.

Ask a Question