Turn off monitor vs. screen saver

Reaction score
I haven't seen this particular problem reported for Windows 10 Home on a Dell XPS 8700. It came with Windows 10 preinstalled. I've used the reset function after one of Microsoft's updates stopped an old program (Google Destop) from working. That didn't fix Google Desktop but I've noticed something else has also stopped working.

I've always had my sleep setting set to "never" but set the screen (right above the sleep setting choice) to turn the screen off after two hours.
I also use a screen saver, set to activate after one hour of inactivity. Just recently the screen won't wake up via mouse or keyboard and I've had to reboot.
My solution was to set the screen to "never" turn off too, just like the sleep setting for the computer. The screen saver still works and still stops working when I move the mouse, as it's supposed to.

I got to wondering why there would be two ways to darken the screen? If you use the "turn screen off" in settings why also have a screen saver? Looking at all the posts about computers that won't wake up from 'sleep' makes me wonder why the boys from Redmond still don't know how to solve that problem after more than 20 years. But I hadn't noticed anyone else saying they can't wake up the screen from that setting to turn it off in settings.
Well, screen saver does the same thing as far as I can tell so there really isn't any urgent problem to solve here, it just seems like one more thing that Microsoft should fix. It also convinces me that using reset as well as all those automatic updates we can't control actually break things that were working before. It's like the law of unintended consequences. You change something here and something else over there also gets changed, something that wasn't supposed to get changed.

Ask a Question