turning off the splash screen

Reaction score
ok now i looked this up and got instructions to do the msconfig and then open the boot tab and click the gui box. apply and ok and reboot. well i did it 3 times and i still have the splash screen.

also i get a message at bootup about the c:\window\temp\bitdefender threat scanner.dmp doing something or not doing something. and it says send it to developers. this may be causing the splash screen to not work. i renamed that file from .dmp to .bac and it still shows at bootup. and the splash screen still show.

so what else can i try? at this time i have a boot password set but getting ready to try again to use the fingerprint scanner for the password. but i want to turn off that splash screen regardless. thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not personally convinced there is any real benefit in disabling the Splash screen, so I'll skip past that aspect of your post and move on to the scanner.dmp issue instead.

If you actually have Bitdefender installed and operating on your computer, then there is an official patch provided by the creators of Bitdefender you need to install to resolve the issue. You can grab that here:

If you do not have Bitdefender installed on your computer, this error can still occur as multiple third-party security applications use the Bitdefender search engine when scanning for threats. Spybot Search & Destroy is one of the more popular third-party security apps using BitDefender's engine. They previously released a replacement DLL file to resolve this issue, but now have updated the application itself to resolve the issue permanently. You can read about that here:

If you are using other third-party security apps then you ought to visit their official websites to verify whether they too are offering solutions to this bug.

Reaction score
thanks i tried to run that patch and i get an error that tells me an admin has blocked the app. so i will see if i can uninstall it and reinstall it.

i have the 64 bit system. i ran the bitdefender uninstall program and after some time it came up and said it was all gone. i still have spybot installed. not really sure if i need bitdefender, but i think it came along for the ride when i installed spybot. but i may have installed it.

i did ask about that bitdefender program and i did not get a real good answer as to weather i really need that or not. i know it will encrypt the drive but no one was able to tell me if it did encrypt the drive if i could then see the files when looking at the folders. and if i copied one off the drive if i could see it on another machine. i'm leaning to not being able to see the files once that got encrypted. so i naver rand the program.

ok i rebooted the pc and i did not see the warning about bitdefender. if i really do not need this program i will ust leave it and not bother to reinstall it then

thanks

Reaction score
well using the bitdefender uninstall program did not help it came back so i went to uninstall spybot and now i get that warning and it will not close. so now i may have to use some uninstall program for spybot as well.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You should be able to remove Spybot Search & Destroy via the Windows Settings > Apps dialog:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • Select Apps
  • From the list of installed apps select Spybot Search & Destroy by a single-left click then click Uninstall

How many security apps have you got installed on this computer?

Reaction score
ok i did that a different way and it looks like spybot and bitdefender are gone. after 3 reboots so far that warning has not returned.

i have norton's antivirus that you get for being a comcast customer. and when i was setting that up some here suggested i install spybot and bitdefender. so i did , but i never ran bitdefender, i did not want it to encrypt my files to the point that i couldn't see them if i was to copy them onto a thumb drive and put on another pc. sometimes i copy photos for people

anyway it looks like spybot and bitdefender have been removed to the point that they fail to show in programs and features. i'm betting they are not all gone and i may wind up having issues yet later on. thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well if Comcast are giving you Norton you might as well keep that.

It costs a bit each year normally, so if you're getting it for free effectively make the most of it I guess.

Reaction score
i'm giving it a tryout. somewhere say it is a great program, some say it is not. so who can you believe i guess. it must have some merit being it is the go to with that lifelock plan. years ago i use symantec and i understand norton is part of that now. thanks.

Ask a Question