Unable to access hotmail?

Reaction score
I have just got a new hp laptop with Windows 10 already installed. When I first set it up I was asked for an email address and password, I entered my hotmail email address and password and it allowed me to continue. Since then when I have tried to access hotmail.com on internet explorer it won't load at all. And when I've tried to access it on the mail icon on the home screen, it opens up but says that my account needs to be updated so I click on the link to do this and every time it starts to load for a few minutes then comes up with an error? Can anybody help?

Reaction score
What address are you using to hotmail? It is now called outlook.com, but should redirect automatically.
The "Mail" icon in Windows 10, has no connection with Hotmail/Outlook.com, but you can link it to your account

Reaction score
I tried hotmail.com, live.com and also outlook.com. None of which were loading, yes I thought I had linked it to my account but it just keeps coming up with an error

Reaction score
Exactly how are you trying to access? Have you tried it in your browser through "Search" , to see what links are offered.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. Upgraded from 8.1 which worked fine to Win 10 which as been a disaster. Sometimes mail doesn't load. Sometimes it does. I had 60 mails on my phone yesterday, then I have no idea what I did but it loaded all the mail (I had to wait while it loaded everything over a 2 year period). today, it's not loading mails again. I am so frustrated I'm tempted to pitch my laptop out the window. I have an MSN.com account and used that to setup. I can't find how to access that again, except going to settings while in mail. I've asked it to load as things come in.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have an MSN.com account and used that to setup. I can't find how to access that again, except going to settings while in mail
If you go to www.msn.com
Do you not see your mail link across the top listed with other links like Store Skype OneDrive, etc.,??

Reaction score
No. Weird, outlook asks me to log in but won't let me. Anytime I try to access outlook.com all I get is the circle of death. Just won't load. Sometimes msn.com doesn't work either.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
outlook asks me to log in but won't let me
Outlook...... as in, within a browser, you go to www.outlook.com and using your username and password
(e-mail address removed)
P@$$w0rd
it "won't let you"???
As in ..... gives you an error? Doesn't do anything? Closes your browser? What actually happens?

Reaction score
When I go to i.e. Msn is set for my home page. The link for outlook does not show that I have mail. If I click on it, it does not respond. If I put outlook into the search bar , still nothing happens and I can't access the site. Right now I can't get either I.E. Or edge to do anything, I am posting from my phone.

When I try to log on at the outlook link, it asks me to log in and when I do, nothing happens, the circle just spins.

Reaction score
Can you use your phone or perhaps another computer to go to www.outlook.com and see if you can log in and authenticate with your credentials (username and password)?

Yeah, the phone works fine. Just signed in. And after my last session on my computer, I just turned it back on and now it is functioning. I don't get how it crashed the other day, then worked yesterday, then not today, now working again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I click on it, it does not respond. If I put outlook into the search bar , still nothing happens and I can't access the site. Right now I can't get either I.E. Or edge to do anything, I am posting from my phone.
I can't decide whether your problem is with your programs / browsers or with your internet connection.
The way you describe it (doing nothing), it sounds to me like you're not actually getting webpages but cached pages instead.
The next time you experience the problem, in a browser window, try holding the Ctrl Key on your keyboard and striking the F5 key

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I'll try that. I can't make sense of it. I upgraded to Win 10 after my husband bought a new computer with Win 10. I am the "computer savvy" one at home. Scary thought, that. I figured that I need to be on it so I can help him. It's been a mess. I've had to trouble shoot his new computer, too. He's doing OK now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am the "computer savvy" one at home
Good to know.
Set your active power plan to high performance.
Go into Device Manager and expand network adapters
Select your adapters individually (wired and wireless), right click them and choose properties.
Select the power management tab and make sure the box is unchecked that says something about "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" or something like that.
If you're using a USB dongle for your wireless connection do the same for each of your USB Hub devices under Universal Serial Bus controllers, if it has "hub" in the name turn it off under power management.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you right click the adapter(s) and choose properties, you should see something like this....

PowerMgmtTab.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you mind attaching an image of what you are seeing?
Just use the native windows snipping tool to grab a snap

Reaction score
Open Settings - Accounts.
Is there a message asking you to verify your account?

Ask a Question