SOLVED Unable to assign a drive letter.

Reaction score
Hi, I cannot assign a drive letter to a partition. When I right click the partition I only get the word "Help".
The partition states as "Healthy (Recovery Partition). Can anyone help me resolve this problem please?

Reaction score
The recovery partition does not, and should not, have an assigned letter.

Reaction score
The recovery partition does not, and should not, have an assigned letter.
I created this partition to use as a system image backup. Windows stopped me doing this as it was on the same hard drive. I subsequently purchased an SSD external drive to do the system backup. Now when I went back to change the drive letter so that I could use the partition for other purposes, I cannot do it.

Reaction score
See if you can reformat it as a simple volume, in disk management, and then assign it

Reaction score
I would feel better if you attached a picture of your Disk Management picture.

You can change the type ID of the partition using Diskpart in the Admin Command prompt. Before doing so, we would need to make sure there is not some other problem.

Reaction score
I would feel better if you attached a picture of your Disk Management picture.

You can change the type ID of the partition using Diskpart in the Admin Command prompt. Before doing so, we would need to make sure there is not some other problem.[IQuote]

Attachments

• Disk_Manager_Screen_Shot.jpg
    Disk_Manager_Screen_Shot.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 896
Reaction score
I have just looked closer in Disk Management and seen partitions which are alien to me. I created a 200 GB partition which was not large enough for the system image backup. That partition should still be their but now I have 4 small partitions with nothing in them and 2 RECOVERY (D). This seemed to have happened after I installed some software
(ScanDisk Dashboard) to be able to use the ssd drive.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
As I believe you said, there is no partition on the drive large enough for an Image backup.

If you want to get some info about your system open an administrative command prompt and type the command below. If you don't have some desire to modify one of the other partitions, then just ignore the suggestion.

reagentc /info

Include any results in your response.

Reaction score
As I believe you said, there is no partition on the drive large enough for an Image backup.

If you want to get some info about your system open an administrative command prompt and type the command below. If you don't have some desire to modify one of the other partitions, then just ignore the suggestion.

reagentc /info

Include any results in your response.
I do not know what to do as I am not too good when in Admin Prompt.
Screen shot attached.

Attachments

• Admin_Screen_Shot.jpg
    Admin_Screen_Shot.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 889
Reaction score
From the readout, partition 5 (868MB) is the Recovery Tools partition and the last one is the Recovery Image partition. But I could not swear to the 5th partition being the 868 one.

It appears you have used EaseUS to modify some partitions at some point, thus the OEM designation on the Recovery partition.

A normal OEM Windows UEFI install, until recently, will have 5 partitions. A recovery, EFI system, Hidden MSR, OS, and Factory Image Recovery partition. Prior Upgrades such as 8 to 8.1 may have added replacement Recovery partition of 350 MB. A subsequent upgrade may have added the last one. So all the partitions on that drive are totally understandable.

I would suggest you leave them alone so not being able to add a drive letter is not really a problem.

Ask a Question