SOLVED Unable to do a Win7-10 upgrade because Screen driver is not recognised

Reaction score
Trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 I get unable to upgrade, Screen driver incompatible (old dell Laptop). So i created a Windows 10 iso and installed windows and lo and behold the screen works perfectly - now the problem is I can't activate as I can't upgrade so I don't get a windows 10 Key !!!!!!

any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I haven't run into that one yet.
By "Screen driver" do you mean the driver for your video card or do you actually mean the integrated laptop screen?
During the upgrade process, are you presented with an option to ignore the compatibility issue and proceed with the upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I haven't run into that one yet.
By "Screen driver" do you mean the driver for your video card or do you actually mean the integrated laptop screen?
During the upgrade process, are you presented with an option to ignore the compatibility issue and proceed with the upgrade?
I mean windows says that the video driver needs updating but there is no update available and I don't get the choice to ignore this problem (by video driver i mean the integrated laptop screen - Dell latitude D610 - )

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I mean windows says that the video driver needs updating (by video driver i mean the integrated laptop screen - Dell latitude D610 - )
"video driver needs updating" AND "i mean the integrated laptop screen" are not generally the same thing the former refers to a chip on your mother board that provides functionality to your display, the later actually means the display itself.
I noticed that
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-d610/drivers
Under "Drivers for OS deployment" there are two files referencing "Monitor Driver"
Dell P2312H Monitor Driver
AND
Dell P2212H Monitor Driver
Perhaps one of those might help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried entering your Windows 7 Product key using the change product key button to see if that will work?

Reaction score
Have you tried entering your Windows 7 Product key using the change product key button to see if that will work?
have re installed windows 7 ultimate - installed the video driver that you suggested - am now running windows update to get the windows 10 button so I can try the upgrade again -

Reaction score
re-installed windows 7 and activated it .... ran windows update but the update to windows 10 icon didn't appear on the task bar. Downloaded GetWindows10-Web-Default and Ran it. it came up with - Video Driver not Compatible but i was able to continue the installation and lo and behold windows 10 is now installed and activated. In device manager I have as a display adapter 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' .... closing this thread as solved ....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Way to persevere.
Thanks for the follow-up information, glad to hear you were able to resolve your issue.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question