SOLVED Unable to install Favorites or Favorites Bar

Reaction score
After activation, the IE Favorites + Bar didn't install from Windows 8.1. I attempted to install using The Hub but it came back with 'Couldn't import favorites' from IE. I managed a manual install using cut and paste from the legacy IE file to the Favourites file in Win 10. This was successful for both Favorites and Favorites Bar, but it only lasted until the the machine was rebooted. The Favorites/Bar were once again missing from Win 10. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a workaround please?

Reaction score
I Found the answer:

1. Close Microsoft Edge.
  2. In the Windows 10 Cortana search bar type %userprofile%\favorites and hit enter. This opens Windows Explorer to the old location of your browser favorites.

3. Select all files and folders and choose Copy.

4. Now, in the Cortana search bar type %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites and hit enter. This is the location where Microsoft Edge stores its favorite bookmarks.

5. Paste the files and folders you selected to copy in the previous step.

6. Open the Windows 10 registry editor (regedt32) and navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\

7. Locate FavOrder and delete it from the Windows registry.

8. Open Microsoft Edge and view the manually imported favorites.
  9. It Works! :)

Ask a Question