Unable to install printer - incorrect security key but key is correct

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 Home, 10.0.15063. It is an x64 based PC

I am trying to install an new printer but when you try to connect it & put in the security key (copied from settings) it says the security key is incorrect. Why is this & how can I correct it.

Reaction score
I do believe there should be much more information given such as printer make and model, type of connection to the computer, etc. I've never had to enter any type of 'key' when installing printers. Is that 'key' being asked for by a particular program and which one?

As for Win10, there's 2 newer versions, Version 1703 Build 16xxx.x and Version 1709 Build 17xxx.x.

Reaction score
A wifi printer ?

If so then does the printer have a button or a command to do WPC ? I am sure your router will have a WPC button somewhere. So use WPC. Otherwise make sure the security on the printer is the same as your wifi usually wpa2 personal AES/TKIP The security key will be case dependent....and usually comes from the router rather than settings.

Or is it a bluetooth printer and the 'security key' is actually the pairing number?

Reaction score
It's an HP Deskjet 3700 and it is a Wifi connection. When trying to access the printer via wifi and putting in the security key (which is correct) the computer messages the code is incorrect.

Reaction score
OK, so have you tried WPC? Somewhere in the printer network menu there will be a place to select WPC. Find the button on the router and press it, you may have to hold it for a second, then click/press the thing on the printer menu. Should connect and work fine. If it doesn't work then check that WPC is enabled at the router...some routers come out of the box with it turned off. Turn it on and try again .

Reaction score
As for Win10, there's 2 newer versions, Version 1703 Build 16xxx.x and Version 1709 Build 17xxx.x.

The TO already has the Creators Upgrade 1703 build 15063. Version 1709 is build16299, build 17xxx is still on Insider status as 1803 probably, just FYI

It's an HP Deskjet 3700 and it is a Wifi connection. When trying to access the printer via wifi and putting in the security key (which is correct) the computer messages the code is incorrect.
Which key do you have to put in, the Wifi key?? Does your computer "see" the wireless printer and are both connected to the same network??

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Amanda,

It's been a while but I've used a couple of HP printers in the past.

The security key you need to use is the network password your Internet Service Provide set up.

This will be located on a sticker underneath your router, and may be label with one of the following:
  • wpa Key
  • WPA Password
  • WPA2 Password
  • Security Password
  • Wireless Key
  • WEP Password

Note: The security key is Case sensitive meaning if a letter is lowercase it must be entered as lowercase, and likewise if any letter is UPPER Case.

Another way of getting this security key is to sign-in to your Desktop, then assuming another device is connected to your network:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings dialog select Network & Internet
  • On the left side select Wi-Fi
  • Now in main window scroll down and click Change adapter options
  • In the window that opens right-click on Wi-Fi and select Status
  • In the Wi-Fi Status dialog click the Wireless properties button
  • Select the Security tab
You ought to see a field displaying your network security key here.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Would the Security Key also be needed if using Wireless Direct instead of going with Wi-Fi [through the Router]?

Ask a Question