Unable to log in after upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi there,
I know there is a similar post, which I responded to. Just wanted to discuss my exact problem.
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last Tuesday on my new laptop. When I first wanted to log in, the system told me that my PW was wrong. It suggested to reset PW on Live website, which I did with my old laptop. It did not help. my new laptop would still tell me that PW was wrong. So I wrote to the live email support last Wednesday. They finally got back to me this Monday with 2 links that did not help and a response, which did not make sense. Ever since I have not heard back from them, though contacting them repeatedly. I also tried it via phone helpline - I was transferred at some stage to a number, which kept ringing for over 15 minutes. Finally I tried it 3 times with the online support - they just ended conversation after a certain amount of time. I have no idea what I can do now. I need to access some of my data on my new laptop. Can I roll back to 8.1? Will there be an update, which might solve the problem soon? From what I read online in the last few days, I do not seem to be the only person with this problem. What is Microsoft doing in this regards?
Wld love to get some answers to my questions. Cheers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Anja, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the issue you're having.
You're right, it seems to be impacting quite a few folks after they upgrade.
I suppose you've already used the little "eye" feature to examine your password entry to confirm it is going in exactly as you've typed it?
The reason I ask, is because there was some mention of certain laptops having a keyboard issue which resulted in the numlock key being on (without an indicator) and consequently some keystrikes were not inputting the proper value.
I can only imagine the frustration you're suffering.
Can I roll back to 8.1?
That is certainly (at least suppose to be) an option, although some people have reported less than optimal results. While others seemed to have done so without any negative results.
Will there be an update, which might solve the problem soon?
Who knows.... one can certainly hope, although I'm not at all sure how a computer that you can't even log into, might receive it, and if it did how you would no, except one day your password magically worked?

I've been doing this sort of thing for a living for over two decades now and I've used any number of software programs over the years to help people rescue their computers from lost / forgotten passwords.
I'm a bit reluctant to suggest anything specific except to say that you might want to look into something like pcunlocker (google might help).
It was certainly the best $50 buck investment I ever made.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble,
Yes, I use the "eye" feature all the time (I gather this is the icon next to the arrow, next to the pw field).
Also, what I discovered: I went into the additional options via SHIFT + Restart. Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then System Restore. I tried to do a restore. Interestingly enough, it asked me there for the Administrator PW, and my original PW worked there. However, I was not able to finish Restore. It stopped at some point and said that it was unable to finalise restore. I also tried to enable Safe Mode. However, none of my PW worked there, when I was asked to enter one. I do not dare trying anything else, as I am worried to make it all worse. Do you know how I could at least logon and safe my data by getting a login as an administrator? Thanks also for the advice re pcunlocker! Will consider this.

Reaction score
Before you take an axe to your system:

The initial setup asks you to use "Microsoft account password" which is your e-mail password if you have a live.com address. Then it asks you to put in ("one last time") your "Windows password" which is your tower/laptop OS password that you put on when you took it out of the box and that you've been using when you turn it on in the morning. Not the same.

If you get that stage figured out you end up changing over to using your Microsoft account password (yes your old free email password) to access your computer and OneDrive and a whole bunch of stuff starts working right.

There are layers of setting up and also multiple updating restarts this OS does, each time it gets better and more stuff unlocks.

Fear not!

~rlb

Ask a Question