Unable to Log IN

Reaction score
This post is meant for member information only. Hopefully it may help someone should they have a similar problem.
I logged on to my PC this morning, updated Malwarebytes and all was OK. Next > I clicked to open my desktop folder to access My Docs nothing, It wouldn't open, next > clicked on other desktop folders nothing. I was unable to open any of my desktop shortcuts.
Performed a restart, after the restart I was unable to enter my password to log ON either account (2) local user, or local administrator account. The mouse was operating fine, the keyboard seemed dead. I restarted and entered the advanced settings to perform a restore but I couldn't enter the admin password, I figured I was done, I was about to switch keyboards when I happened to observe a sticky Alt key, repaired same and all is OK again. Such a simple problem that's often overlooked.

Hopefully venting my frustration here may help someone in the future with a similar problem start up/ log In problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
Amazing and glad you saw it and were able to free up the problem keyboard key.
Amazing, and......
Makes me wonder if some of the similar issues we see posted might be something just as simple, although when you think about it, it's really not all that simple, most would not have noticed but swapping the keyboard would have likely put you onto something..

Reaction score
Trouble Yes, it was when I picked up the keyboard to swap out that I noticed the left Alt key stuck.
I once had Dell tech help me (remote) to troubleshoot an Dell Inspiron Laptop, the first thing the tech told me to do was depress every key on the keyboard. I didn't understand his logic at the time, now I do.
I'm pleased someone thinks it was worth sharing. Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sort of like....
A stuck Esc key will prevent you from dragging / moving desktop icons around.
I guess the best practice, if you find that you can't do something suddenly, that you were able to do in the past......
Beat the heck out of your keyboard keys until you find the stuck one.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the Escape key problem, I wasn't aware of that. Learned something new.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... a stuck ESC key can be a problem.
It sort of nullifies a lot of things.
You can test by holding it down (as if it were stuck) and try to move desktop icons, or move an open window or resizing open windows, etc.
Someone should make a list.

Ask a Question