Unable to map NAS drive

Reaction score
I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties.

The NAS drive is directly connected via ethernet cable to my laptop.

Laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809.

Laptop's IP address on the ethernet card is set to 192.168.1.1

I was able to retrieve the IP address of the WD NAS drive by using the arp command and it's set to 192.168.1.2

I have forgotten the name of the root share folder on the NAS drive.

The problem:

I am unable to map the NAS drive to my laptop. When I try to click on Network in Windows Explorer OR use the Map Network Drive option, I get a "Network Discovery is turned off" error.

To enable Network Discovery, I turned on / enabled all of the below

1. In Advanced Network Sharing, network discovery is turned on for Private, Public, Domain and All Networks

2. DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host sevices are running

3. Network Discovery is checked in Windows Defender

4. Ran the following command as administrator netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Network Discovery” new enable=Yes

In spite of this I get the "Network Discovery is turned off' error.

I am able to ping 192.168.1.2 in the command prompt and get a response.

Any suggestions on how to fix the error OR another way to access the NAS drive would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adi.

Reaction score
192.168.1.1 is the IP address for a router to gain access. It is also the Gateway address to get online in the WWW.
change your laptop to 192.168.1.3 and your problem should be solved.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Changed the IP address to 192.168.1.3 on my laptop. I still have the same "Network discovery is turned off error"

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with the latest IP/Insider Preview version on one computer but not on another. Ended up being a problem with permissions/security on the Guest account and couldn't get rid of it. The problem machine's File Explorer could see the 2 NAS drives but couldn't find the path to map them. I downloaded the .iso file, created the DVD/DL disc, booted, formatted the drive and installed clean, problem gone. The Public Folder on both drives are now mapped and files available.

Reaction score
I also have similar issue.

192.168.1.1 is the IP address for a router to gain access. It is also the Gateway address to get online in the WWW.
change your laptop to 192.168.1.3 and your problem should be solved.

I changed ip address but that did not solve problem.

I had a similar problem with the latest IP/Insider Preview version on one computer but not on another. Ended up being a problem with permissions/security on the Guest account and couldn't get rid of it. The problem machine's File Explorer could see the 2 NAS drives but couldn't find the path to map them. I downloaded the .iso file, created the DVD/DL disc, booted, formatted the drive and installed clean, problem gone. The Public Folder on both drives are now mapped and files available.

Can you tell me which iso did you install.

Ask a Question