SOLVED Unable to rename Excel file

Reaction score
I have a slightly odd problem with a particular Excel file. It was originally created by another user, on another computer (don't know what I'm afraid). I was able to modify it, but when I change the name (either during the save process or after closing it), I find that the renamed file will not open. I get an error message saying 'sorry - we couldn't find x - is it possible it was renamed, moved, or deleted?'. The same thing happens if I try to make a copy.
I tried copying and pasting the contents into a new file, but the same thing happened.
None of my other excel files do this, and I suspect there is something about the contents that makes it behave this way. The contents are pretty innocuous, - it is a small, one-sheet workbook with only a few dozen lines and no formulae.
So I have an excel file I can work with, but it is doomed to always have the same name!
Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Replying to myself!
It seems I had too many subfolders, and the pathname was simply too long.
I have amalgamated some subfolders and the problem has gone away.
Annoying, because my understanding was that you could have as many sub-subfolders as you wanted. Well, you can, but not if you want to save anything in them!
Conputers eh!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up and welcome to the forum.
Glad you managed to figure it out and appreciate you sharing what you found.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Well WIndows and in particular Windows 10 is full of Gremlins like this, I experience something similar but far more complex than folder nesting levels. In time I will post about it and see what others think or suggest.

As a teaser to this, what happens is, everytime Windows 10 upgrades to a newer revision, folders cant be renamed, if you cut and paste any folder with any file inside, it will error out saying file cant be found, but it opens/plays, etc... I am able to fix it each time but I cant understand why it works.

I will ask about this and post more details and ask for thought about it, in a specific thread.

Ask a Question