Uncontrollable Scrolling

Reaction score
My wife's windows 10 computer goes into uncontrollable scrolling and you cannot take control of the system. Restarting does not alleviate the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you provide the specs on the problem computer? Manufacturer's name, model name, model number, etc.
Can you provide any details as to what produces the scrolling? What activity? Browsing? Opening application like word with multi-page documents?
Is the scrolling effect multi or single direction? Down only or down, then back up?
What device? Mouse, trackpad, keyboard??
Are you using a wireless dongle to support your input devices?

Reaction score
I had this scrolling problem. It came out of the blue and no amount of scanning, restarting, restoring and trying all the suggestions on various forums and YouTube videos worked. Absolutely by chance and for another issue I removed the USB dongle for by wireless mouse and then refitted it. The problem was immediately solved.

I don't know why this worked but it made me realise why none of the other attempts worked — it was an input problem rather than a machine problem.

I post this because it was a very debilitating problem while it lasted and made certain activities impossible. I thought it might save others all the trouble it causes.

Reaction score
If you have a wireless mouse try installing Mouse and Keyboard Center from Microsoft download center. That will have an option to disable rapid scrolling via disabling the center wheel pushbutton function.
There is also an option for normal scrolling speed which should be set to 3.

Ask a Question