SOLVED Unidentified network/ no internet Ethernet

Reaction score
Hey all. So yesterday my internet stopped working which is ethernet to d-link hardline ac adapter to router. Xbox is connected same way and it works perfect. Tried all the usual reset/restart stuff. Keep getting unidentified network no internet. My router reads my PC so i know its connected. Updated the ethernet controller drivers to win 10. No luck. Any one have any ideas. My wireless adapter doesnt work either but i hooked it up and while it connects to my router and has a good signal it will work for a few mins and than drop out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
ethernet to d-link hardline ac adapter to router
Just so we're clear.....
Does the above mean, that you are using the adapters that allow you to use the AC wiring in your house to carry an Ethernet signal?
IF so, do you have anyway of avoiding that configuration and connecting your PC directly to the router to test temporarily just to remove that element from the equation for now?
I know, I know.... the xbox works so everything should work, but..... you need to start somewhere.

I assume when you do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt you are either missing
1. A default gateway
2. Are simply not getting DHCP at all and subsequently are seeing a 169.254.###.### schema with a class B subnet mask, which is Microsoft's APIPA
OR
3. The router is your default DNS server and it just decided to stop forwarding and or resolving DNS (FQDN to IP).
So.....
Are you familiar with the normal IP addressing schema on your network?
Can you try manually assigning static IPv4 addressing to the properties of you network adapter that are consistent with your subnet and test.

Reaction score
Just so we're clear.....
Does the above mean, that you are using the adapters that allow you to use the AC wiring in your house to carry an Ethernet signal?
IF so, do you have anyway of avoiding that configuration and connecting your PC directly to the router to test temporarily just to remove that element from the equation for now?
I know, I know.... the xbox works so everything should work, but..... you need to start somewhere.

I assume when you do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt you are either missing
1. A default gateway
2. Are simply not getting DHCP at all and subsequently are seeing a 169.254.###.### schema with a class B subnet mask, which is Microsoft's APIPA
OR
3. The router is your default DNS server and it just decided to stop forwarding and or resolving DNS (FQDN to IP).
So.....
Are you familiar with the normal IP addressing schema on your network?
Can you try manually assigning static IPv4 addressing to the properties of you network adapter that are consistent with your subnet and test.

Yes im using the ac wiring. Been doing it for years with no issues. The router is upstairs and i could move my my rig up there to bypass but its a real pain. Im using my phone to do this so i cant copy past the ipconfig /all but yes there is no default gateway for the ethernet adapter. Dhcp is enabled. Autoconfig IPv4 adress 169.254.218.254. Subset mask 255.255.0.0 Any other info you need. Im not sure about #3 and how to do all that but i can follow directions. Really appreciate the help. I can usually troubleshoot all my problems but this one not so much.

Reaction score
You are not connected. That 169 address and no default gateway shows that either your machine is not asking for DHCP or that the router end is not seeing the request and its not therefore answering.

In your network config is your adapter showing up there? If it is, is it enabled? in Device manager does it say it is working or is in in a state 'further installation required. If it appears to be working then turn off 'allow computer to turn off this device to save power' or similar wording.
if so try this. manually enter a static IP address in your numbering scheme and mask into the TCP config on your machine as well as the routers address as the gateway. Put in a common DNS as well , try 8.8.8.8 ( A Google public DNS)and see if works then

As for Troubles #3 a reboot of the router will do no harm.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Autoconfig IPv4 adress 169.254.218.254. Subset mask 255.255.0.0
So you are stuck at #2 in my post above.
In order to attempt to assign static values manually to your IPv4 setting for your Ethernet card, you will need to have some idea of what your router's current schema might be.
Do you have another node on the network, preferably a computer but even your phone or xbox might help if you know how to find what you need.
We need an example of a working devices current IP addressing
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS server address or addresses

Then we might be able to take a good guess as to how to get you going with static values that might work.

Reaction score
So I realized that my xbox automatically switches to wifi when the wired connection is down. I went and reset both powerline adapters and resynced them. Internet is working on both. Easy fix I should have thought to try first. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I have part of my network via Netgear powerline adapters and in 4 years I have never had to reset them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've got a pair in a drawer somewhere.
Got tired of resetting them. That's why they went into a drawer.
Spent the money and purchased a nighthawk ac3200 with beam forming.
My daughter prints to my wireless printer from two houses down.

Reaction score
I have just worked out what was wrong with my computer. Windows 10 had closed down functions prior to an update which I hadn't implemented. I saw it when it started, let it update, restart and then all was well. That's a big issue with Windows 10, it protects itself during updates and them doesn't let go until you have let the updates run. Clever but can lead to strange behaviour.

Ask a Question