Unstable desktop post upgrade from Windows 7

Reaction score
Having upgraded to Windows 10 I am now unable to use my computer at all as when attempts to upload the desktop it continually fails to do so, the main desktop image is loaded but as it attempts to then add the icons it goes blank for a moment and then attempts the same procedure again. This occurs about every 2 to 3 seconds. On some occasions it displays the icons momentarily but often not at all. The mouse can be moved around the screen but I am unable to do anything further with it as the blue 'wait' circle is continually displayed.The odd thing howvever is that I left themChine running overnight in the hope that it would stabilise but when I returned to it Norton was requesting an upgrade whilst the problem persisted. This box was totally functional and i was able to proceed with it, which enabled the PC to then receive updates and reboot, with the same problem however. I am now forced to switch the machine off via the power button as I cannot shut down normally. Any ideas as this is driving me nuts

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Select Task Manager
Scroll down and find "Windows Explorer"
Right click and End Task
From the menu bar in task manager select file -> run new task
and type
C:\Windows\System32
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to
cmd.exe
right click it and choose run as administrator
and type
sfc /scannow
See if that produces anything note worthy
If not
back to task manager new task and type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
hit enter or click OK
see if Windows Updates has anything pending.

Ask a Question