Unusual behavior after update to version 1511

Reaction score
My printer works but it is not listed correctly in Devices And Printers. It is now in devices with a Logitech device.
printer.PNG

Reaction score
I am up updating this post as I reloaded the Windows 10 from a disk I purchased. The build is 10240 and the printer glitch in Devices and Printers is still present.

I reloaded because the entire system crashed while loading software. I could not get the Windows 10 or Windows 7 to load to either of two disks. Only one ssd was connected at the time of the crash. They would not reset either. Then mysteriously, the following day, I was able to load to one and the second also allowed the OS to load. I was then even able to load to a third ssd which I had been unable to load to for some time. Ha, I now have 2 ssd's with Windows 10 running well and an ssd with Windows 7 running perfectly as well. None of this was due to Windows 10 issues (I think) but I am reporting it FYI. Once again persistence has paid off.

Error messages were varied. One drive reported the drive was locked, one said the drive was not NTFS, the other just said it was broke. One problem loading was the keyboard would not respond to load from disk. Other various messages stated inability to load as well. It was a nightmare.

The only thing which I can attribute the change of my pc's attitude to is that I reset the BIOS defaults.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last week i installed a zebra GC420 on a 7 box in about 6 minutes and that night installed one to a win 10 box and it took 2 hours to get it to come up in devices and printers even though you could find it in the print dialog from word or anything else. However through that avenue you could not change the defaults on the device. After blowing out drivers and reloading many times, finally wiping all the instances of the driver and printer from the windows Print Management console app and a few more reboots and it magically appear in the devices and printers window.

Reaction score
My Canon printer is still listed as a device but it is working well so I probably should not mess with it. Still it looks odd and I am going to remove it and see if I can add the printer so that it appears correctly.
I will report soon on how that goes.

Glad your printer is working but I doubt magic had anything to do with it

Well, I did that and the printer just relisted as a device as soon as I restarted.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, here is some unusual behavior. I removed the printer/device from Devices and Printers and installed it on the print menu. I was forced to restart because the cursor disappeared when I removed the printer. Now even though it is not listed in Devices and Printers after the restart, it is listed in the Devise Manager and works perfectly (prints).

Currently I have Version 1511 (OS build 10586.29)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exact crap i went through. Type Print Management from the search box and see what you have listed. I had to blow out multiple "ghost" driver and printer instances for the printer in question from there along with various reboots and printer connect/not connect via usb before it straightened itself out. Way annoying.

Reaction score
type slower and watch the results. it did that to me a few times also.

Attachments

• printmanagement.jpg
    printmanagement.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 542
Reaction score
I am not the least bit annoyed. The printer works just fine. I can not see it in Devices and Printers but that is no big deal.
qqw.PNG

I typed print management but it just brings up Administrative tools (Control Panel);

Attachments

• snip 112.PNG
    snip 112.PNG
    52.4 KB · Views: 622
Reaction score
type slower and watch the results. it did that to me a few times also.
I typed one key at a time and did not see that. I see that is supposed to be in administrative tools but it is not on my list in Admin tools.

Last edited:

Ask a Question