Unusual time keeping error

Reaction score
Hello, I have this weird time keeping problem on the computer since 2-3 days ago, I first noticed it when the computer clock was 3hrs behind normal.

What happens:
Everytime i switch or restart the computer, the time is perfect (UTC London - daylight savings on), however after using the computer for a few hrs, the time suddenly decides to go a few hours back, sometimes it is 30-minutes and other times it switches back to the time I booted the computer up for that day.

Weirdly enough, when this problem occurs, I can simply go into time & language settings, untick set time automatically, and then tick it and the time resets to the proper time.

I tried to test this in the BIOS utility, and let it run for 3hrs, and no problem whatsoever the timekeeping for windows 10 was perfect and there is no loss of time. This problem seems to only occur when actually using the OS.

I tried a new test to see what was going on, so used the stopwatch app and set the stopwatch to 3hrs, after roughly 1hr 30minutes the stopwatch switched to 00:00:00, without even telling me that the stopwatch had gone off and the computer time jumped back 1hr 30mins instantly (yes I literally stared at it for that long).

This computer is quite new (2months old), I normally research and solve the problems myself, however this baffles me completely!

Note: All drivers are up to date, and the OS keeps failing to update to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 (not sure if this is the actual problem as the update keeps failing and I am prompted to restart occasionally with more fails and no message).

I have also tried to flash the bios and reset it completely, turn and switch it off, leave it off for 3 minutes then re-start it (everything thats normally recommended). The date and time settings are synchronized to time.windows.com.

Info that may come in handy:

OS Type: Windows 10 home
Current Windows 10 build: 10.0.10240 Build 10240
Build: Asus
Bios Mode: UEFI
Bios Version/Date: American Megatrends inc. 2401, 24/04/2015
SMBIOS Version: 2.8
BaseBoard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
MOBO: sabertooth Z97 mark 1.
Processor: i7-4790k
Network card: Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless (I am mentioning this since this card has caused quite a few problems before on the computer which I had to continuously debug and re-install to a working driver version).

I have HWinfo Version 5.10 monitoring CPU/GPU temp and health status which I installed a few weeks after completion of this build. (not sure if this is conflicting with it).

I will also note I have never had any BSOD, or any crashes up to date, or anything for that matter. The build ran flawlessly until recently.

Ask a Question