SOLVED Update 1607

Reaction score
Any advice would be appreciated. My Windows 10 laptop is running version 1511, In my update history I see that over the last week that already 16 attempts have been tried to automatically download ' 'Feature update for 1607' but this has failed each time. I've even tried to manually download version (Anniversary update) but this also fails. I'm at a loss to know why this should be as my version 1511 is automatically regularly brought up to date.

Reaction score
Do you have plenty of space on C: >20GB? Are you running a non-MS antivirus? and/or a non-windows firewall

Reaction score
Do you have plenty of space on C: >20GB? Are you running a non-MS antivirus? and/or a non-windows firewall
I have ample space on C drive. I only have the windows firewall. But I do have free Malwarebytes which I run manually and this has never previously caused me any trouble..The last automatic Feature update for 1607 which failed this evening brought up "0x8000ffff error message" As I'm a novice with my laptop I'm wary of downloading anything to perhaps rectify my problem. My laptop says I'm running version 1511 not 1607

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Anniversary Edition update is a pretty big deal. In many ways it is similar to a full OS install and is more of an upgrade than an update, so....
The first thing I would recommend is to make sure all your critical data is backed up and secure on an external resource, and also to make a disk image of your current install as discussed here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
So you have a strong fall back position should things not go exactly as planned.

Then.... because in some cases, certain peripheral devices might cause some problems with your upgrade, you may want to make an effort to reduce your computer to its' basic components by disconnecting any and all USB connected devices.
I would then attempt a clean boot of the system as explained here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
The Anniversary Edition update is a pretty big deal. In many ways it is similar to a full OS install and is more of an upgrade than an update, so....
The first thing I would recommend is to make sure all your critical data is backed up and secure on an external resource, and also to make a disk image of your current install as discussed here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
So you have a strong fall back position should things not go exactly as planned.

Then.... because in some cases, certain peripheral devices might cause some problems with your upgrade, you may want to make an effort to reduce your computer to its' basic components by disconnecting any and all USB connected devices.
I would then attempt a clean boot of the system as explained here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Thank you for your sound advice. I asked a computer tech friend of mine to take a look at my problem, he's been here this morning and sorted it out for me. Evidently there was some debris left on my laptop which should have cleared away which was causing the problem. He has installed Update 1607 for me and now the long list of failed updates have disappeared...hurrah!
Many thanks once again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue.
Thanks very much for the follow-up information.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question