Update files downloaded, but what next?

Reaction score
On my primary laptop, I can see that the Windows 10 installation files have been downloaded, but nothing has subsequently happened - should I expect to see a "Update Ready" notification or some such?

I'd also like to upgrade four or other five PCs (I 'reserved' the update on some of these, but as far as I can tell the download has yet to start), and I'd like to minimize the amount of further data that I download. I understand how to obtain the ISO media to perform subsequent updates via a DVD or memory stick, but will these ask for a Windows 10 key when I try and upgrade?

I also have a new, sealed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate which I bought a couple of years ago which I was going to use on a new build at some point. I'd therefore like to be able to have the option of installing Windows 10 Pro on this in the future. What are the options on installing this temporarily, upgrading to Windows 10 and grabbing the license key for future use?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
but will these ask for a Windows 10 key when I try and upgrade?
No if you use the ISO to "upgrade" a legitimate eligible version of Windows you will not be asked for a key.
As far as the download that is present on your other machine.
Microsoft still says "it's coming" ... there putting this announcement on many of their own community forums
Announcements.jpg

I guess you can wait and see.
Or simply upgrade that also from the ISO and then do a disk cleanup afterwards to get rid of the download(s) and consequent wasted space.

Please, please... make every effort to secure you critical data before proceeding. I strongly recommend a disk image.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Ask a Question